- They were due. They were badly overdue. For the first time in almost three months, the Everett Silvertips earned a road win. Last night at Prospera Place, two goals in the first period and a third period seeing eye wrist shot from defenceman Nick Walters, propelled the Tips to a 3-2 win over the Kelowna Rockets. It was the Tips third win on the road this season and first since October 28th. The victory snapped a winless streak on the road that reached 13 games. For the last place Silvertips, who have looked anything but a last place team over the last couple of nights, it was only their 9th win of the season.
- This game could have been over in the second period had it not been for the play of Rockets goaltender Adam Brown. The 20 year-old made two breakaway stops and then denied Joshua Winquist on a penalty shot. In total, Brown faced four breakaways in the game and stopped three of them.
- Brown took the bullet for the team after the game by blaming himself for two of the three goals. But in this situation that's like blaming yourself for the loss when you score three goals yet turn over the puck for a goal against. Brown did so many positive things in this game that even a suspect goal wasn't the reason his team lost the game.
- Frankly I would like to see more veteran players be accountable for their actions and follow Brown's lead. Was Brown sending a message to his teammates by sticking his neck out when he wasn't the guilty party in the one goal loss?
- Tyrell Goulbourne was again the fire that attempted to light a spark for his team. The 17 year-old was involved in two fights including a dandy against Luke Grayson. Goulbourne threw some heavy shots at Grayson, who impressively and miraculously shook off, in a tilt that saw two 17 year old's square off just inside the Everett blue line.
- Sorry three star selectors, Tips goaltender Kent Simpson was not the games first star. Adam Brown should have been. If you want to pick a Tips player, how about some love for forward Ryan Harrison. The 19 year-old won every puck battle he was involved in. Harrison, who is from Kelowna, wouldn't quit on a puck and played like an older player should. When you play against younger competition, you should dictate and dominate play. Harrison did that.
- The future of the Tips looks bright. Look no further than forward Kohl Bauml. Does he play like this all the time? The 17 year-old, who scored 27 goals playing midget last year in Saskatoon, was awesome in the two games I witnessed.
- The Rockets record at home is now one game under the .500 mark. The Rockets dropped their 11th game at home this season. The Rockets also have 11 road losses.
- I had a solid conversation with Tips d-man Ryan Murray before the game. We talked about Twitter, his worst enemy, after he was roasted on the social media site for his play in the semi final game at the World Juniors. Murray shared some thoughts on the emotional and mental struggle he had following the tournament as he tried to brush away the harsh criticism.
Wednesday, January 18, 2012
- ► 2017 (96)
- ► 2016 (144)
- ► 2015 (183)
- ► 2014 (213)
- ► 2013 (194)
- Quick thoughts on CHL Prospects
- Top Prospects in Pictures
- Rockets rolling in January
- A fascinating lady at T-Bird games
- Look who I ran into
- Seattle 2 Adam Brown 1 (SO)
- Game notes vs. Seattle
- How do you like me now?
- Rockets game notes vs. Blazers
- On location
- Join us!
- One line won't do it
- Rockets game notes vs. Hurricanes
- Ryan Murray Interview
- Rockets game notes vs. Tips
- Hay on coaching in NHL and Huska endorsement
- Random pic
- Batman and Robin
- Ugly would best describe it
- The Rockets almost spoiled the party
- Winterhawks announcer appears on Jeopardy
- Do you know what day it is?
- Bitten again on the power play
- Welcome to Portland
- Three ranked by NHL Central Scouting
- Trading for Lyon
- Deadline Deal
- Rockets make a trade
- Leaving Vic with 4 pts
- Bell bulges the twine - twice
- Welcome to Victoria
- Blogging from the BC Ferry
- What was that?
- Game notes vs. Chiefs
- Things that make me go hmm...
- Rockets alumnus making most of final season in WHL...
- Do I dare say it?
- Game notes vs. Hitmen
- ▼ January (40)
- ► 2011 (336)
- ► 2010 (519)
- ► 2009 (515)
- ► 2008 (396)