- Ryan Huska didn't want to admit it was his teams biggest win of the season. Yet, he did agree that it was one of the most complete efforts of the 2011-2012 campaign. The Kelowna Rockets knocked off the best team in the Western Hockey League Wednesday night with an impressive 3-2 shootout win over the Kamloops Blazers. The Blazers hadn't tasted a defeat in nine straight games. Zach Franko,again, scored the shootout winning goal with his 7th of the season after beating Blazers goaltender Cole Cheveldave to the stick side. Franko's heroics came on the heels of a third period goal from Brett Bulmer, who tied the game at two after a great rush up the ice. It marked only the second time this season, and second in two games, that the Rockets rallied to win after trailing after 40 minutes. Up until that point, the Rockets had gone 19 games without a win when trailing after two periods.
- I thought the Rockets had a really good start thanks to an opening shift by veteran Cody Chikie. The 20 year-old set the tone that a win in Kelowna wouldn't come easy for a Blazers team loaded with depth and talent. While out-shot 9-6 in the opening frame, the Rockets created no less than three solid scoring chances.
- Brett Bulmer! What can you say? When he is on his game the 19 year-old is a force. Bulmer scored a crucial goal in the third period but was dangerous every time he touched the puck. He looked so much better alongside Shane McColgan after head coach Ryan Huska changed up the lines in an effort to generate more offense. Bulmer was named the games first star.
- Damon Severson returned to the line up Wednesday night after missing 16 games with a hand injury. The 17 year-old, remarkably, didn't miss a beat and was arguably the Rockets best d-man. In fact, the entire d-core had an extremely solid game, and despite a series of turnovers, they did a good job of recovering after making an error.
- How big was MacKenzie Johnston's sweep check in the dying seconds of regulation time off of Blazers leading scorer Brendan Ranford? Ranford picks up a pass behind Johnston and is going in on what appears to be a breakaway in a 2-2 game. Johnston doesn't give up on the play, skates back hard, dives, and gets his stick on the puck and sweeps it aside. What a great play with a tremendous desire to compete. Impressive.
- Speaking of impressive. How about Tyrell Goulbourne's second period fight with Blazers d-man Tyler Bell. Goulbourne again showed that he is one of the toughest 17 year-old's in the entire WHL. Question is, has Goulbourne lost a fight this season?
- The Rockets were clearly ramped up for this game. They were facing the best team in the league, had a national TV audience watching and a big crowd in the building. Clearly if they could play with that type of passion and intensity every game they wouldn't find themselves in the lower portion of the Western Conference. In saying that, if this indeed is the turning point of the season so be it. It is better to find your game in late January than lose it with two months left in the regular season. Because as they say, anything can happen in the playoffs. If the Rockets play like they did Wednesday, beware!
Thursday, January 26, 2012
How do you like me now?
Country singer Toby Keith sang it best, "How do you like me now". How do you like the Rockets now?
- ► 2017 (73)
- ► 2016 (144)
- ► 2015 (183)
- ► 2014 (213)
- ► 2013 (194)
- Quick thoughts on CHL Prospects
- Top Prospects in Pictures
- Rockets rolling in January
- A fascinating lady at T-Bird games
- Look who I ran into
- Seattle 2 Adam Brown 1 (SO)
- Game notes vs. Seattle
- How do you like me now?
- Rockets game notes vs. Blazers
- On location
- Join us!
- One line won't do it
- Rockets game notes vs. Hurricanes
- Ryan Murray Interview
- Rockets game notes vs. Tips
- Hay on coaching in NHL and Huska endorsement
- Random pic
- Batman and Robin
- Ugly would best describe it
- The Rockets almost spoiled the party
- Winterhawks announcer appears on Jeopardy
- Do you know what day it is?
- Bitten again on the power play
- Welcome to Portland
- Three ranked by NHL Central Scouting
- Trading for Lyon
- Deadline Deal
- Rockets make a trade
- Leaving Vic with 4 pts
- Bell bulges the twine - twice
- Welcome to Victoria
- Blogging from the BC Ferry
- What was that?
- Game notes vs. Chiefs
- Things that make me go hmm...
- Rockets alumnus making most of final season in WHL...
- Do I dare say it?
- Game notes vs. Hitmen
- ▼ January (40)
- ► 2011 (336)
- ► 2010 (519)
- ► 2009 (515)
- ► 2008 (396)