I spoke to Vancouver Giants head coach Don Hay before Saturday's game. I didn't want to re-live every moment of the WJ's (that has been analysed to nauseum), so our discussion centered around other topics. I asked Hay, point blank, if he would entertain a return to the National Hockey League.
"Would I like another chance? Ya, I would like another chance but I am not going to look in every door that's coming open. There are coaches that are looking around all the time, but if you have a good enough resume, teams will come to you."
"I have been there and done that. I could take it or leave it. I am getting to the age now that I am pretty set in my ways and pretty happy with what I am doing."
After two years as an assistant coach for Canada's entry at the World Junior's, does Hay believes Kelowna Rockets coach Ryan Huska be a good candidate to take over the head coaching duties of Team Canada at next years tournament in Russia?
"I think Ryan would do a great job. He has been through two of them. He (Huska) has lots of experience now. He knows the process you have to go through as far as working with coaches and working with the management group and the players there. No doubt in my mind that Ryan would do a great job if he had the opportunity."
The Rockets organization has had two coaches guide Canada's entry at the World Juniors. Marcel Comeau was the head coach in 1995 while Marc Habscheid was at the helm in 2003.
- ► 2017 (135)
- ► 2016 (144)
- ► 2015 (183)
- ► 2014 (213)
- ► 2013 (194)
- Quick thoughts on CHL Prospects
- Top Prospects in Pictures
- Rockets rolling in January
- A fascinating lady at T-Bird games
- Look who I ran into
- Seattle 2 Adam Brown 1 (SO)
- Game notes vs. Seattle
- How do you like me now?
- Rockets game notes vs. Blazers
- On location
- Join us!
- One line won't do it
- Rockets game notes vs. Hurricanes
- Ryan Murray Interview
- Rockets game notes vs. Tips
- Hay on coaching in NHL and Huska endorsement
- Random pic
- Batman and Robin
- Ugly would best describe it
- The Rockets almost spoiled the party
- Winterhawks announcer appears on Jeopardy
- Do you know what day it is?
- Bitten again on the power play
- Welcome to Portland
- Three ranked by NHL Central Scouting
- Trading for Lyon
- Deadline Deal
- Rockets make a trade
- Leaving Vic with 4 pts
- Bell bulges the twine - twice
- Welcome to Victoria
- Blogging from the BC Ferry
- What was that?
- Game notes vs. Chiefs
- Things that make me go hmm...
- Rockets alumnus making most of final season in WHL...
- Do I dare say it?
- Game notes vs. Hitmen
- ▼ January (40)
- ► 2011 (336)
- ► 2010 (519)
- ► 2009 (515)
- ► 2008 (396)