Thursday, January 8, 2009
Ten Things You Didn't Know About Ryley Grantham
10) His father Terry owns a trucking company in Hanna, Alberta.
9) Grantham was born and raised in Hanna, the home of rock group Nickelback. Hanna is also the home to NHL great Lanny McDonald.
8) Grantham earned his class one drivers license this summer, meaning he can drive a semi. His dad puts him to work in the summer.
7) Grantham has one sibling, a sister who's 22. She's a dental assistant in Hanna.
6) Grantham's father Terry is a cousin to Jim Nill, the assistant general manager of the Detroit Red Wings.
5) Grantham was listed by the Warriors after attending training camp as a 15 year-old. Grantham received four WHL invites to rookie camp that season, including one from the Kelowna Rockets. He was also invited to camps in Lethbridge and Prince George. Why did he choose Moose Jaw? His friend was also attending training camp with the Warriors.
4) Grantham played his bantam hockey in Stettler, Alberta and played his midget hockey in Brooks and Medicine Hat.
3) Grantham, a draft pick of the Calgary Flames this summer, played two prospect games this fall against the Vancouver Canucks and Edmonton Oilers rookies.
2) Grantham has 14 fighting majors this season, up from the 12 tilts he had a year ago. Of the 14 fighting majors this season, 8 have been on the road.
1) Grantham's first WHL goal was scored February 18, 2007 in Regina. Grantham's first fight was January 12, 2007 against Saskatoon's Brad Cole. Grantham fought James McEwan last year in the Warriors lone visit to Kelowna.