An article http://www.lfpress.com/sports/columnists/terry_jones/2010/01/05/12348956-sun.html written by veteran sports columnist Terry Jones suggesting that Team Canada head coach Willie Desjardins is a media nightmare at the World Juniors has caused quite the stir out west.
Many fans are sour that Jones called Desjardins "a media relations disaster who is colourless and quoteless" when dealing with the media.
Having dealt with Desjardins on several occasions, I will admit he won't wow you with his insight during a pre or post game interview. My general impression is Desjardins is still under the old school mindset where you should never tip your hand and allow the opponent to use any comments you make as possible bulletin board material.
This is nothing new.
Chilliwack Bruins head coach Marc Habscheid took a similar approach when he was guiding the Kelowna Rockets.
Habscheid would occasionally call out one of his own players in the media but would never tip his hand on his game plan or the weaknesses of the team his club was about to play in the fear of firing them up.
It didn't make for memorable interviews, but Habscheid did what coaches are asked to do - win hockey games.
Yet behind closed doors Habscheid is a much different person when the TV camera's and radio microphones are removed from under his mouth. Habscheid comes across relaxed and is often leaving you chuckling with his quick wit.
I am sure the same can be said about Desjardins, who is oddly enough married to a TV anchor in Medicine Hat.
I think it's fair to suggest as long as Desjardins wins at every level, his time in the WHL will be short lived with NHL general managers taking notice.
His winning track record as a coach will do all the talking necessary.
- ► 2017 (135)
- ► 2016 (144)
- ► 2015 (183)
- ► 2014 (213)
- ► 2013 (194)
- ► 2012 (236)
- ► 2011 (336)
- Jackson's shorthanded goals leads Rockets to win
- Taking it to the Tigers
- Grabbing the Tiger by the tail!
- Rockets win 4th straight
- Barrie's record breaking night
- Rockets game notes vs. Cougars
- Westblom gets last laugh over Danton
- UBCO study on Rockets
- UBCO conduct study on Rockets
- Four of a kind have Rockets dealing a winning hand...
- Game notes vs. T-Birds
- Westblom will have stories to tell
- Rockets GM enters BC Hockey Hall of Fame
- Things that make me go hmm....
- Rockets take 2 steps forward
- Bulmer likes home cook'n
- Quick thoughts on a Friday
- Solid effort, same result
- Gore great
- Game notes vs. Bruins
- Rockets injury update
- Things that make me go hmm....
- Behind the Mic with Broncos play-by-play man Jon K...
- Sluggish second period=sixth straight setback
- WHL Commish Ron Robison
- Disappointing finish won't erase a great game
- Game notes vs Winterhawks tomorrow night
- Huska about to become a dad...again
- Rockets speak on dangers of drugs
- Sean Aschim transcript
- Dallas Jackson transcript
- Lambert turns the big 4-0
- Jackson and Aschim comment on trade
- Jackson/Aschim practice with new team today
- The voice of the Vancouver Giants
- Chapman/Bulmer make NHL draft rankings
- St. Denis' season is over
- Trade day thoughts
- Five players moved from 2006 WHL draft
- Jackson fills huge hole
- Rockets trades
- Rockets make deals
- Verdino traded
- Happy birthday Guggs!
- Mucha - the man
- Rockets fall 6-4 to Blazers
- Thanks you Mr. McEwan
- Rockets game notes vs. Blazers
- Varady's golden moment
- Tips put in gold medal effort
- Tips 6 Rockets 2
- McMillan arrives in Kelowna
- McMillan speaks on disappointing loss
- Rockets game notes vs Tips
- McMillan brings back silver medal
- Rockets Injury Update
- Desjardins winning record speaks volumes
- Tri City Americans radio voice Craig West
- Webs on the Fan 590 in T.O
- Kelowna connections at World Junior final
- McColgan's record breaking performance accompanied...
- Gogol situation clarified
- Ito plays hero
- The voice of the Kamloops Blazers
- Rockets game notes vs. Bruins
- No longer sweet 16
- A point well earned
- ▼ January (68)
- ► 2009 (515)
- ► 2008 (396)