Tonight’s Preview: The Rockets enter tonight’s contest having lost back-to-back games to Prince Albert and Saskatoon prior to the Christmas break. Tonight‘s game is the 5th meeting of the season between the Rockets and Giants. The Rockets are 2-1-1-0 in the first four games with the two teams each scoring 15 goals in the seasonal series. Following tonight’s game these two teams hook up again January 3rd in Vancouver. The Rockets are opening a stretch of playing 8 of their next 11 games on home ice. The only road games over that period are in Chilliwack, Vancouver and Kamloops. The Rockets host the Blazers Wednesday before visiting the Bruins New Years Eve.
Seasonal Series Breakdown vs. Giants:
Teams: 1 2 3 OT Total
Rockets: 3 8 3 1 15
Giants: 6 4 4 1 15
*The Rockets have scored a power play goal in all four games against the Giants this season. The Rockets are 6 for 20 with the man advantage (30%). The Giants are 6 for 18 with the power play against the Rockets (33.3%). The Giants have out-shot the Rockets in three of the four games by a margin of 125-114.
Last Game Recap: Mitchell Callahan scored the lone goal in the Rockets 4-1 loss December 16th in Saskatoon. The Rockets were out-shot 31-26 in the game and were 0 for 4 on the power play. Mark Guggenberger took the loss in goal making 27 saves. The game featured a season high five fighting majors.
Barrie one of the best: Rockets defenseman Tyson Barrie has 134 career points, the third highest point total for defenseman in franchise history. Josh Gorges is the franchise leader with 152 career points followed by Mike Card with 147.
Who’s Hot – Who’s Not: Tyson Barrie has points in 22 of his last 24 games. Barrie has not scored a goal in 13 games….Rookie Max Adolph has goals in five of his last nine games…Shane McColgan has 9 goals in his last eleven games..The Rockets have given up five shorthanded goals in the last eight games. Spencer Main has points in 6 of his last 9 games…Mitchell Callahan has four fighting majors in his last four games…Mark Guggenberger has started two of the Rockets last three games…Brett Bulmer has 5 points (2+3=5) in his last eight games.
Game Day Tidbits: The Rockets have played 37 games this season. Can you name the two teams they have not played this season? Answer: Seattle and Lethbridge….Tyson Barrie is third in league scoring by defenceman. Barrie is 3 points back of league leader Travis Hamonic of the Moose Jaw Warriors…Shane McColgan is attempting to become the highest scoring 16 year-old in Kelowna Rockets history. McColgan has 36 points, 5 fewer than franchise leader Marty Flichel, who had 41 points (21+20=41) during the 1992-93 season…Curt Gogol leads the WHL in penalty minutes with 112..….Adam Brown leads the league for the most games played by a goaltender (33)….Brown has played the most minutes of any goaltender in the WHL (1941)….The Rockets have been involved in fifteen (15) one goal games this season. The Rockets are 8-6-1-0 in those fifteen games…Kyle St. Denis leads the team with 8 power play goals….Tyson Barrie has a team high 30 assist…McColgan is five points back of Portland’s Nino Neiderreitter for the WHL scoring lead by rookies, yet is tied with Red Deer’s Ryan Nugent-Hopkins for the league lead in points by 16 year-old rookies.…The Rockets are 18-18-1-0 after thirty-seven games this season. Last year the Rockets were 21-15-0-0 after thirty-seven games…The Rockets have scored 119goals in thirty-seven games this season after scoring 127 times in the teams first thirty-seven games one season ago…The Rockets have allowed 114 goals against this season after surrendering 97 goals after thirty-seven games last year…Ryan Huska recorded his 100th regular season victory December 4th against Edmonton…Brandon Wheat Kings forward Brayden Schenn had a phenomenal 16 year-old rookie season in 2007-2008 recording 71 points. How does Rockets 16 year-old Shane McColgan measure up with the 07/08 WHL rookie of the year? Schenn had 38 points after 36 games in his rookie season. McColgan has 36 points after 36 games in his 16 year-old season.
- ► 2017 (73)
- ► 2016 (144)
- ► 2015 (183)
- ► 2014 (213)
- ► 2013 (194)
- ► 2012 (236)
- ► 2011 (336)
- ► 2010 (519)
- Rockets can't buy a bounce
- Great effort - bad result
- Bowman out over a month
- Weber/Keith Olympic picks
- Rockets game notes vs. Blazers
- 2009 - What a year it was
- Giants in giving mood handing Rockets home ice los...
- Giant loss at home
- Rockets game notes vs. Giants
- The 'voice' of the Edmonton Oil Kings
- Home for the Holidays
- Roady comes to an end
- Road trip ends with 3 and 3 record
- McMillan wears Canadian colours
- Art Hauser Centre Video
- Not good!
- Rockets game notes vs. Raiders
- Rockets Video Christmas Card #4
- Rockets Video Christmas Card #3
- Rockets Video Christmas Card #2
- Rockets Video Christmas Card
- Pics from Monday's workout in Saskatoon
- Severson re-joins Rockets
- Rockets receive eye opener
- Rockets celebrate Christmas in Saskatoon
- Video goodbye to Moose Jaw Civic Centre
- Pics from Moose Jaw/Regina
- Guggenberger good as gold in victory
- Game notes vs. Warriors
- Pics from last night
- Winning 'Fehr' and square
- Boarding the bus for Brandon
- Things that make me go hmm...
- He's Back!
- Getting a ride with a Rider
- Damon Severson Interview
- Retro night in Regina
- Rockets lose St. Denis to a concussion
- Rockets add 15 year-old to roster
- Game story in pictures
- Big win in tough building
- Game day pic's from Swift Current
- Game day in Swift Current
- Kelowna Broncos arrive in Swift Current
- Leonard has one up on Lazo
- Average effort produces winning result
- Kootenay Ice radio voice Jeff Hollick
- Rockets game notes vs. Oil Kings
- Callahan uses soft hands to pummel opponent
- Make it 3 straight wins on the road
- Lucas Bloodoff out 4 to 6 weeks
- McMillan gets invite
- Rockets game notes vs. Tips
- ▼ December (53)
- ► 2008 (396)