- The Kelowna Rockets should have learned a lesson Saturday night in a 4-0 loss to the Kamloops Blazers. When you are one of the hottest team in the W-H-L, the opposition will be excited at the prospect of playing you and knocking you off your perch. The Rockets were humbled in a game where the Blazers had more jump and didn't stop until the final buzzer sounded. On this night the Blazers were the better team and liked nothing more than having the satisfaction of handing the Rockets their first loss in seven games.
- The Rockets, meanwhile, had their chances when the game was scoreless. Spencer Main was one of just two Rockets to hit the post, but the real turning point was when the Blazers got into early second period penalty trouble and the Rockets had a chance to bury them on two-5 on 3's. You knew failing to cash in would come back to haunt them.
- The Blazers broke the game open with three goals late in the second period and it was lights out for Kelowna. The shot clock is often a good indicator of what type of effort the Rockets had in the third with just three shots on goal. The Blazers were not error free defensively in the third period, but it appeared from my vantage point that the Rockets had handed in the towel.
- Rockets rookie forward Colton Sissons night ended early in the first period when he was hit. Word has it the 17 year-old is out with a concussion.
- Jordan Cooke came into the game in a relief appearance of Adam Brown for the start of the third period. Brown appeared to tweak a knee late in the second period. Wearing his new pads and gloves, Cooke allowed one goal in his 20 minutes of work.
- Ken Hitchcock took in last night's game. The former Blazers coach, who most recently guided the Columbus Blue Jackets until he was fired in late February, was seen smiling as his face was shown on the video monitor in the third period. The question Hitchcock was likely asking was, "where are all the fans".
- Not to make excuses, but the Rockets ended a portion of their schedule where they played seven games in 12 nights. Amazingly the team was 6-1-0-0 over that period.
- I thought referee Matt Kirk called a solid game. He wasn't without his faults, but who is? What I liked most about Kirk was his ability to let the two teams skate it out in the first period without whistling the play down on a soft call. Kirk and Pat Smith have the privilege of representing the WHL at the upcoming World Junior Hockey Championships in Buffalo, New York.
Sunday, November 14, 2010
When you're hot, team's will hunt you down
- ► 2017 (135)
- ► 2016 (144)
- ► 2015 (183)
- ► 2014 (213)
- ► 2013 (194)
- ► 2012 (236)
- ► 2011 (336)
- Rockets game notes vs. Seattle tomorrow
- Rockets' well represented on Team Canada
- Tyson Time!
- November by the Numbers
- 10 and 1 is a whole lot of fun
- Rockets game notes vs. Chiefs
- Do the stache's stay or do they go?
- Brown and the temperature headed in same direction...
- Lucky win #13
- Game notes vs. Pats
- St. Denis audio
- Torrie's bro is coming to town
- Things that make me go hmm...
- McMillan look'n Ducky
- Bloodoff picks good time to come out of slumber
- McMillan prepares to make NHL debut
- They can't all be oil paintings
- Cuthbert's pic in PG/Cooke's new look
- Welcome to Prince George
- Working on my bus legs
- Siebert doesn't shine in BC Hockey's eyes
- Bodie a Hurricane
- McColgan in top 15
- Heffley and Severson won't be with Rockets after X...
- WHL referee's for Subway Super Series
- When you're hot, team's will hunt you down
- Streak ends in Kamloops
- Six straight
- Wudrick approaching '300'
- They can't all be pretty
- My take on the Rockets players at the quarter mark...
- Rockets game notes vs. Oil Kings
- The Rockets Remember
- Things that make me go hmm...
- Feeling fine after scoring nine
- 'Giant' win on the road
- Rockets logo/jersey gets attention at NHL game
- Rockets game notes vs. Giants
- Rockets look to WHL player as sports psychologist
- Audio of 16 year-old's scoring first WHL goal
- Brown named 1st star in road win
- Brown and company come to play
- Game notes vs. Blazers
- I guess Dick Gibson isn't so bad?
- Rockets game notes vs. Cougars
- Things that make me go hmm....
- ▼ November (47)
- ► 2009 (515)
- ► 2008 (396)