- The Kelowna Rockets know the value of good goaltending. So do the Kamloops Blazers. Adam Brown showed his worth Thursday night. Blazers netminder Jeff Bosch, who started the game, witnessed it from the bench. Brown was his 'Steady Eddie' self in the Rockets 7-1 win over the Blazers. Brown was one of the main reasons why his team enjoyed a 3-0 lead after 40 minutes before his teammates buried the Blazers in the third.
- Bosch was yanked after two periods after giving up three suspect goals, including two wrap-around chances by Cody Chikie and Geordie Wudrick. Chikie's opening goal is scored on a long range shot that sneaks past Bosch and trickles into the net. The soft goal comes after the Blazers are applying the pressure. Brown is holding his team in the game at one end while Bosch is letting his team down at the other.
- The Blazers deserved a better fate, so don't let the score fool you. But again Brown was a difference maker when his team was out-shot 12-6 in the second period alone. Brown makes 12 saves while Bosch allows three goals on just those six shots. That's the difference.
- Chikie, Wudrick and Shane McColgan each had two goal games. Brown's shutout bid comes to an end when Blazers captain Chase Schaber fires a low shot past the 19 year-old goaltender with about four minutes to play in the game. Brown had gone over 154 minutes without allowing a goal after shutting out the Everett Silvertips 4-0 on Tuesday and allowing just one goal in a 5-1 win over Calgary on December 17th.
- This was a physical affair, with two fighting majors and several big hits. It starts when Colton Sissons runs into Austin Madiasky at the Blazers blue line. Sissons falls down but while Madiasky stays on his feet and slowly makes his way to the bench, he appears to have the wind knocked out of him. The best hit came later when Rockets defenceman Kevin Smith comes out of the penalty box after serving a holding penalty and clocks Blazers forward Thomas Frazee. Smith finds himself challenged by Blazers forward J.T Barnett after the hit is applied.
- Smith ended the game with two assists, a fight and a +4 rating...the best plus/minus of any player on the ice. Smith is now a +10 in the month of December. No Rockets player has a better +/- during the month than Smith.
- The only other fight saw Blazers forward J.C Lipon tangle with Rockets d-man MacKenzie Johnston late in the game. Lipon is the aggressor, but Johnston answers the bell. It was Lipon's 7th fighting major this season. Johnston does well with only his second tilt of the season.
- Johnston comes within inches of scoring his first WHL goal when he hits the cross bar early in the first period. Johnston has yet to register a point this season and is now the only Rockets regular to do so.
- Gal Koren earned his first career point with an assist on Geordie Wudrick's second period goal.
- Let's take our hat off to defenceman Colton Jobke who played through pain yet played an affective game. Despite suffering a knee injury Tuesday against Everett, the 18 year-old was pressed into service and played some big minutes.
- The win is the Rockets 4th straight and moves them back into second place in the Western Conference. The Rockets have now out-scored their opponent 19-4.
Thursday, December 30, 2010
Rockets win fourth straight
- ► 2017 (95)
- ► 2016 (144)
- ► 2015 (183)
- ► 2014 (213)
- ► 2013 (194)
- ► 2012 (236)
- ► 2011 (336)
- My pick for first half MVP
- Rockets win fourth straight
- Rockets game notes vs. Blazers
- Second place in the conference ain't all that bad
- Game notes vs. Tips
- Rockets 2010 Recap
- Merry Christmas
- Things you didn't know about Callahan
- Attaboy Cally
- Rockets move into first place
- Welcome to Calgary
- One-on-one with Luke Schenn
- An off day with Luke Schenn and the Leafs
- Losing ways in Lethbridge are finally over
- Rockets game notes vs. Hurricanes
- Bunz's Tigers beat Brown's Rockets
- Rockets land top prospect
- Ten questions with Mitchell Callahan
- I like this photo
- Taking a skate at the Arena in Medicine Hat
- Hitting the books in the Hat
- Ten question with Mitchell Chapman
- Rockets add Goulbourne
- One goal losses often hurt the most
- Rockets game notes vs. Oil Kings
- Cuthbert earns first WHL coaching win!
- A fire on the Rockets bus!
- A look inside the Rockets room
- Random thoughts from Red Deer
- Rockets pics from Red Deer
- Eakin shows why he will be on Team Canada
- Is Novotny a no-go against his old team?
- Rockets game notes vs. Broncos
- Rockets acquire d-man, release Wall
- Callahan could wear USA colours
- Rockets beat beast from the east
- Third period collapse ends streak
- Quick hits before a road trip to the Wack
- Huska signs extension
- Brown named WHL Goaltender of the Month
- Make it 6 straight
- ▼ December (41)
- ► 2009 (515)
- ► 2008 (396)