- The Calgary Hitmen are a good team. The Kelowna Rockets, much like the sixty-two hundred strong at Prospera Place, watched the Central Division leaders perform their magic Friday night. With just a handful of players rising to the occasion, the Rockets fell 4-1 to the Hitmen, who won for the 22nd time on opposition ice this season.
- Head coach Ryan Huska pointed to just three forwards that showed some moxy in his team’s 27th loss of the season. Brett Bulmer, Max Adolph and Geordie Wudrick showed some jump, but outside of that, it was slim pickings. The coach didn’t name names, but was disappointed with the urgency level of some of his veteran players.
- Despite a lack of urgency, it’s amazing that the Rockets were a goal post away from tying the game in the third period. Forward Brandon McMillan rings one off the post when the game is 2-1. Moments later the Hitmen score to make it a 3-1 game.
- Who was the most dangerous player on the ice? Brandon Kozun. Man, I love the way he plays. Up tempo all the time. The little man is held off the score sheet but creates some good things. The 19 year-old had a gift wrapped breakaway that has him firing the puck wide of the net.
- How good has Kozun been over the last two seasons? Do you remember how I was pumping Colin Long’s tires last season for a combined 190 points over two seasons? Kozun has 193 points – and counting – if you take last years point total and this year’s offensive outburst into account.
- Both teams play this game without a key defenceman. Twenty-year-old Dallas Jackson missed his 6th straight game with an ankle injury while Calgary doesn’t dress 19 year-old Michael Stone. Stone has a foot problem.
- Rookie Max Adolph gets positive press for a fight with Hitmen forward Cody Beach. Beach is not only 5 inches taller, but has no less than 15 fighting majors more than Adolph. The two tango in the third period. Beach now has 17 fighting majors. Adolph has a whopping two!
- I liked the play of goaltender Mark Guggenberger. Making his first start since February 5th, the 21 year-old was especially sharp during a 4 minute power play the Hitmen were awarded after forward Geordie Wudrick is assessed a double minor for high sticking. Guggenberger was quick down low, used his big body to perfection and just played a steady game. While he didn’t pick up a star in the building, he was the third star on our broadcast.
- The Rockets lost forward Cody Chikie, who was sent to hospital after what appeared to be a clean hit. Chikie did not travel with the team to Portland, which tells you it’s more than just a bruise.
- The game features two brothers squaring off against each other. Kyle Aschim (Hitmen) meets his younger brother Sean (Rockets).
- The loss has the Rockets leading 7th place Kamloops by just one point and 8th place Chilliwack by three. Both the Blazers and Bruins are winners on Friday.
- It was nice to see a good contingent of Hitmen fans at Friday’s game. They have a lot to cheer about as they see their team win a regular season game in Prospera Place for the first time since 2005.
Saturday, February 20, 2010
Rockets may have lost more than just the game
- ► 2012 (236)
- ► 2011 (336)
- Weber and Keith's golden moment
- Missed chances prove costly
- Lucas leads by example
- Wudrick is money in the shootout
- Looking at the bright side
- I left Lethbridge scratching my head
- A sight for sore eyes
- Fill it up please!
- Thank heaven for....Evan
- Alberta bound, Alberta bound, it's good to be........
- Things that make me go hmm...
- Lots of shots=little reward
- Say goodbye to 17
- Why are the Portland Winterhawks so good?
- Portland Pics
- Playoff bound despite late game letdown
- Rockets clinch playoff spot despite one goal loss
- Chikie has broken collarbone
- Rockets may have lost more than just the game
- Hitmen 4 Rockets 1 Final
- Game notes vs. Hitmen
- Cody Almond interview
- Got off the phone with Cody Almond
- Rockets flavour at 2010 Olympics
- McColgan/Bulmer the next Long/Benn?
- Rockets lead now 3 points over Blazers
- Olivia Newton-John would have been proud
- Old time hockey=Rockets victory
- Behind the Mic - Bruce Luebke
- Almond makes NHL debut
- Rockets lose for first time in 10 games
- Tips 4 Rockets 0 Final
- Kyle Beach is a bobblehead
- Playoff preview?
- Habscheid knows pressure that Olympics bring
- Crowd noise in Chilliwack is indeed legit
- Better late than never?
- Brian Burke's son remembered in Chilliwack
- Eight straight, but not so great
- Rockets game notes vs. Hurricanes
- Rockets helping Haitians
- Muench on Skilliter audio
- Skilliter Update: Released from hospital
- WHL Referee Update
- Is this a candidate for the WHL Plays of the Week?...
- 7th Heaven
- I'm disappointed, is Jung?
- Rockets game notes vs. Oil Kings
- Things that make me go hmm...
- Behind the mic with Rebels voice Cam Moon
- I think I've seen everything now
- ▼ February (52)
- ► 2009 (515)
- ► 2008 (396)