Cindy Rogers is a photographer with the Kelowna Rockets. She does her best work behind the lens of a camera. That statement may no longer be true after her heroic efforts Wednesday after a Jeep veered off Highway 97 and landed in Wood Lake. The New Zealand born Rogers was driving by the accident scene, between Vernon and Kelowna, when she stepped out of her vehicle and jumped into the freezing water to try and save whoever was in trouble.
"Because someones life is down there. Someones dad, someones wife, someone! I couldn't think of not jumping in and helping out. I would only hope someone would do that for me if I was stuck in the same position."
Rogers entered the water, swam towards the submerged vehicle and attempted to break the glass with a rock. Rogers says the idea came about after watching the movie Ghostbusters.
"They said that if it (vehicle) is submerged in water that is just over the car you won't be able to push or kick the windows out and you need something to smash it with. I tried grabbing a rock but that wasn't budging it so I yelled out if someone had a hammer and someone had a hammer in their truck so I used it."
A 58 year-old woman from Salmon Arm died in the accident.
It is unclear if she was the lone occupant of the vehicle.
"Like I said, it is one of those things in life. You have to jump at it. Someone has to step up to the plate", Rogers added.
- ► 2015 (125)
- ► 2014 (213)
- ► 2013 (194)
- Game notes vs. Tips
- Don Hay and losing don't mix (Audio)
- A few first half awards I would like to hand out.
- Zach Attack
- Rockets game notes vs. Blazers
- News, quotes and anecdotes
- A few Christmas numbers
- Rockets prospect receives all-star birth
- Rockets photographer plays role of hero
- Who did the heavy lifting on road trip
- A few photos from the roady
- Out of gas in final game of terrific road trip
- Merkley follows in bantam draft prospects footstep...
- Rockets use scoring punch and physical force in ro...
- Rockets game notes vs. Tigers
- T'was the final night before Xmas, Kelowna Rockets...
- Derailing the 'Cane Train'
- Unlikely source scores winner
- Back on the bus
- Rockets notes vs. Cougars
- Getting away with a win with a less than stellar e...
- Game notes vs. Broncos
- News, notes and a couple of quotes
- Sissons wearing Canadian colours?
- Opposing goalies receive 1st star status
- ▼ December (25)
- ► 2011 (336)
- ► 2010 (519)
- ► 2009 (515)
- ► 2008 (396)