Calling it the quietest trade deadline he has ever sat through, Kelowna Rockets General Manager Bruce Hamilton was content with what happened on arguably the most interesting day for fans and the media.
Only eight trades were made on Monday, including the Saskatoon Blades acquired Team Canada star Brayden Schenn.
Hamilton told me this afternoon that he did not receive one phone call from a GM asking what it would take to acquire Tyson Barrie.
Hamilton says history shows they don't trade these type of players and it is clearly understood among his colleagues.
The Rockets general manager says it is invaluable that Damon Severson and other young defenceman on his team play with Barrie.
You can't argue with that philosophy.
Once top draft picks Jesse Lees and Madison Bowey have their season's come to an end, how much will Barrie's value be to these emerging d-men?
Shea Weber mentored Luke Schenn. Luke Schenn mentored Tyler Myers. Myers mentored Barrie.
Now Barrie can follow a similar path with these two 15 year-old d-men.
You can't argue with that pattern of success.
One last thing.
I still don't understand why fans/some media don't understand why the majority of the deals come out in one fell swoop once the deadline is over. Does it not make sense for a WHL general manager to keep his trade close to his chest in the fear of tipping off his competitors, who may then attempt to go out and make an equal or better trade? After the deadline is over the team announces the trade and his competitors are left with no recourse.
Sounds like common sense to me.
- ► 2017 (135)
- ► 2016 (144)
- ► 2015 (183)
- ► 2014 (213)
- ► 2013 (194)
- ► 2012 (236)
- Astles fight audio
- Feeling good in first place
- Chikie chimes in with four points in Rockets win
- Game notes vs. Cougars
- By the numbers...
- Things that make go hmm...
- I like this mascot
- Gutsy effort, great weekend
- Beating the big dog
- Rockets snap two game road losing streak
- Welcome to Kent
- Rockets game notes vs. T-Birds
- Luke Schenn dances and does well
- Brodsky on low crowds in Prince George
- An ugly win, but a win all the same
- Rockets game notes vs. Cougars
- McColgan will show speed at Top Prospects
- Things that make go hmm...
- Hot 'Bunz'
- Peaks and valleys par for the course
- Nothing short of outstanding
- Rockets game notes vs. Hawks
- Meeting Myers
- Adam Brown moving up the list
- No deals by Rockets didn't mean no movement
- Not one call
- Rockets keep quiet
- Three Rockets ranked
- Eakin deal prank
- The calm before the storm?
- Barrie leaving Rockets
- A seasonal series which doesn't make sense
- Rockets fall for 4th straight time
- Not good
- Gorges undergoes season ending surgery
- Game notes vs. Warriors
- Amazing comeback or total collapse?
- Callahan wins bronze
- Callahan will have time to crash
- Things that make me go hmm...
- Barrie goes for gold
- Getting blitzed by the Blazers
- Game notes vs. Blazers
- Rockets get wake up call
- ▼ January (44)
- ► 2010 (519)
- ► 2009 (515)
- ► 2008 (396)