- Have you ever had a house party where one of your guests seemed to ruin the entire thing? He or she is overly opinionated, won't shut up and likely had too much to drink. Whatever the circumstances, the rest of your guests are turned off by this one person and their very presence ruins a completely good time. Enter referee's Andy Thiessen and Jeff Ingram to last night's home game between the Kelowna Rockets and Prince George Cougars. Neither had any feel for the game in the Rockets lopsided 7-3 win. Sure the contest featured 122 minutes in penalties, but don't be fooled into thinking this was a slug fest between two division rivals. Looking at the lopsided score you would think the Cougars were the worst thing on the ice surface. Sadly, they weren't. If the objective was to create no flow, the officials did a terrific job.
- In the first two periods, the longest stretch of play without one penalty being called was 6 minutes and 41 seconds. That was the start of the opening face-off until Brett Connolly was given a hooking minor.
- The Rockets had a 3-0 lead with the game just over 6 minutes old. But despite the solid start, the Cougars found themselves down just 3-1 at the first intermission. The visitors didn't close up shop until Evan Bloodoff scored late in the second period to give the Rockets a 5-2 lead.
- Cody Chikie led the way with a goal and three assists. The four point night was a career high for the 19 year-old. Chikie was named the games first star.
- Colton Sissons, Tyson Barrie and Andreas Stene each had two point nights.
- For a second straight game against the Rockets, Cougars head coach Dean Clark had to change his goaltenders. Starter James Priestner was pulled after surrendering four goals on 12 shots. Clark tried to stay with his veteran goaltender, but as the saying goes, "make a save'". Clark had no choice but to yank Priestner after Kevin Smith scored a soft goal to make it a 4-2 game.
- Smith's goal was his first in 15 games.
- The Cougars had reason to complain after they were denied twice by what appeared to be goals on scrambles in front of Rockets goaltender Adam Brown. I am not sure about the ruling that Brown was pushed into the net after making a save from in tight. Cougars head coach Dean Clark could have come unglued several times but showed the patience of Job.
- The Rockets were 0 for 10 on the power play and gave up a shorthanded goal.
- Where was Brett Connolly? The Cougars leading goal scorer had a rough night. Connolly was off his game taking three minor penalties. I could be mistaken, but I can't remember him getting a shot on goal.
- Rockets forward Zach Franko extended his point streak to 12 games with a goal 4 minutes into the third.
- The Rockets have now won five straight, one off the Rockets season high of six straight wins to start off the month of November.
- Mitchell Chapman and Geordie Wudrick were both +4. Chapman now leads the team with a +17.
- During the five game winning streak the Rockets have out-scored the opposition 28-14.
Friday, January 28, 2011
Chikie chimes in with four points in Rockets win
- ► 2017 (98)
- ► 2016 (144)
- ► 2015 (183)
- ► 2014 (213)
- ► 2013 (194)
- ► 2012 (236)
- Astles fight audio
- Feeling good in first place
- Chikie chimes in with four points in Rockets win
- Game notes vs. Cougars
- By the numbers...
- Things that make go hmm...
- I like this mascot
- Gutsy effort, great weekend
- Beating the big dog
- Rockets snap two game road losing streak
- Welcome to Kent
- Rockets game notes vs. T-Birds
- Luke Schenn dances and does well
- Brodsky on low crowds in Prince George
- An ugly win, but a win all the same
- Rockets game notes vs. Cougars
- McColgan will show speed at Top Prospects
- Things that make go hmm...
- Hot 'Bunz'
- Peaks and valleys par for the course
- Nothing short of outstanding
- Rockets game notes vs. Hawks
- Meeting Myers
- Adam Brown moving up the list
- No deals by Rockets didn't mean no movement
- Not one call
- Rockets keep quiet
- Three Rockets ranked
- Eakin deal prank
- The calm before the storm?
- Barrie leaving Rockets
- A seasonal series which doesn't make sense
- Rockets fall for 4th straight time
- Not good
- Gorges undergoes season ending surgery
- Game notes vs. Warriors
- Amazing comeback or total collapse?
- Callahan wins bronze
- Callahan will have time to crash
- Things that make me go hmm...
- Barrie goes for gold
- Getting blitzed by the Blazers
- Game notes vs. Blazers
- Rockets get wake up call
- ▼ January (44)
- ► 2010 (519)
- ► 2009 (515)
- ► 2008 (396)