Sunday, May 17, 2009

After Further Review...

  • After further review, the players name I supposedly butchered is Belarus born IIya Silik. In talking with organizers of the tournament though, it is in fact pronounced Sil-ick. Unless I had some poutine in my mouth at the time, I thought I hit it correctly when he had the puck, which frankly he didn`t touch often in game one.
  • For the record, many people call me Reagan (ray-gun), which is incorrect, yet I just go with the flow.
  • Speaking of poutine, did you know it originated in 1950. The french delicacy is essentially french fries, gravy and cheese. I was told that you can add ground beef or sausage to it as well. While it`s not good for you, sometimes you have to live dangerously.
  • I had my first look at Windsor forward Taylor Hall. This kid is the real deal. He can skate, has great hands and has a confident swagger about him. I like him. To think he is not draft eligible until 2010. Wow.
  • The Rockets defenceman will have to do a better job of adjusting to the short glass along the side boards at the Colisee. The Rockets took two delay of game minor penalties for the puck over the glass. As stated previously, the side glass is two feet shorter at the Colisee than the WHL standard.
  • My only technical issue at the Memorial Cup was my laptop crapping out on me. But this tournament is so organized a freelance computer expert is on hand to look into my problem. I can`t say enough about how this tournament is run. Now if I could only get a good massage, I`d be in heaven
  • I was questioned earlier about this being the most enjoyable Memorial Cup of the four I`ve attended. I enjoyed Kelowna in 2004 don`t get me wrong, but I had to broadcast every game so I didn`t have a chance to experience the events outside of the arena. I will never forget the moment that Josh Gorges lifted the Memorial Cup over his head, but I didn`t leave the experience saying I enjoyed all aspects of the tournament.
  • Colour analyst Gord McGarva is traveling to Rimouski as I blog. It will be a long day for McGarva, who won`t arrive here until 2 am local time. McGarva will join me on the broadcast Monday afternoon. If he miss pronounces a name or two from Drummondville or isn`t his perky self, cut him some slack.
  • Scalpers here in Rimouski are sour. In speaking to them this morning, business is anything but brisk. Apparently the people here are not interested in paying full market value for the tickets, which are going for about 70 bucks a game at the ticket counter. Many scalpers are selling them for less in the hope of simply getting rid of them.
  • Tyson Barrie`s father Len is the only parent I`ve seen so far at the Memorial Cup. I understand Brent Gogol, Curt Gogol`s father, will also be here. Colin Long told me yesterday his dad Steve won`t be making the trip.
  • Kelowna`s own Jim Hammett is at the Memorial Cup. Hammett is the director of player personnel for the NHL`s Tampa Bay Lightning.
  • During one of the TV timeouts during the game, the arena host entertains the crowd in a number of ways. One of the most entertaining bits is when the host gets a fan to sing karoke on the video screen. It`s sung in french, but it`s still pretty funny.


Mickey Renaud`s jersey behind the Windsor bench.

Chris Savage making the WHL proud.

Colin Long, Tyson Barrie and Cody Almond after a skate Thursday afternoon.

No comments: