Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Former Hawk Thankful for Trade/Leavold's Buddy Speaks Out

The Lethbridge Hurricanes were in town Friday, and I wanted to speak to Nick Hotson about the situation with his former team, the Portland Winter Hawks.

"I am very relieved (to be traded to Lethbridge). It's a nice feeling to win hockey games again. I forgot how that felt being in Portland. I kinda had an idea that I'd be traded, being an older guy - a twenty year-old - I didn't think they would keep me around because their was no point since they were losing. So I thought we would get traded, and luckily we did"

When the Hawks elected not to re-sign Mike Williamson, how did that sit with the players?

"Having him coach me for my whole career in Portland was a real big change. He's a real good coach and we sure missed having him. It wasn't fair to him, and I hope he knows that. The owners wanted a new change, and thought getting a new coach would help that, but it obviously didn't".

Do you still feel for your former teammates and the struggles they are going through?

"I was there for a year and a half so I feel for them. It's hard for them to go to the rink every day and strap up their gear, but they have to just go out every game and show they want to be there. They have to at least give an effort every night and then whatever happens happens."

What was your reaction to Kurtis Mucha calling out his teammates?

"He's the heart and soul of the Portland Winter Hawks. He's the only reason why they ever won hockey games if he puts up 60 saves or lets in one or two goals. It's really tough on him and I understand where he's coming from. I don't know if I support him calling out guys, but I just hope the team gets better for his sake or he can get out of there and be on a better team for him personally."

Saturday night I spoke with Chilliwack Bruins overage forward Brandon Campos about growing up playing minor hockey with Kelowna Rockets forward Brady Leavold.

"The relationship started when we were about eight years old. His dad (Brian) was one of my first coaches and it was about my second year of hockey. He (Brady) helped me out with the rules and the equipment because it was all new to me. We played every year together with rep teams from atom until bantam and then we went our separate ways at 16".

Tell me about the minor hockey line in Port Coquitlam you played on with Brady and Everett Silvertips forward Zach Hamill?

"It was probably the best line I have ever played on. We just fed off each other. I was the center at the time and Brady was the aggressor and the goal scorer. I thought me and Hamill got in there but we were more the playmakers. Brady wanted to score more than he wanted to pass (laugh), but at the same time he'd dish us some pretty nice passes".

Are you surprised at the success Brady has had in his 20 year-old season?

"No not at all. I knew he was about to branch out any time now. Maybe in Swift Current he wasn't getting the opportunities or the ice time he is getting in Kelowna. But now he is playing on an unreal line and he is flourishing with all of the opportunities he's got".

No comments: