- So, where do we go from here? Back-to-back losses to Victoria and Prince George make you scratch your head wondering how the Rockets can look so good against Tri City (6-2 W), yet appeared lackluster in two weekend losses against teams below them in the standings. The players likely deserved a bag skate Sunday, but head coach Ryan Huska thought otherwise after consulting with his assistant coaches. Huska was shaking his head after Saturday's 3-2 loss to the Cougars and must have been tempted to skate his players right then and there. In the 70's it would have been acceptable. Not so much today.
- Coach Huska had some great quotes on our post game show Saturday night. While not naming names, which he clearly could have, he spoke about the team not being able to fight through adversity when things are not going well. "It seems when things don't go our way than we feel sorry for ourselves and we don't dig in and don't work. We are no where near getting over a hump right now. We have a long ways to go and it's frustrating when you don't get the push from everybody. We are not asking for much. We are asking them to play simple hockey but we didn't get that the last two games".
- When things are not going well, you look at your leading scorers to rise to the occasion. Shane McColgan, Brett Bulmer and Colton Sissons have to lead the charge. Big responsibility, right? If you want to be 'the guy', then you have to carry that burden/responsibility.
- Do the Rockets need a shake up? A significant trade possibly? When the team is almost 30 games into the season and you have only 11 wins, you can't but consider sending a prominent player elsewhere. You don't take drastic steps by blowing it all up, but moving a player that won't buy in on the way the coaches want the team to play may be the only option.
- I'm still waiting for Zach Franko to emerge. One goal in 12 games just won't cut it after recording 53 points last season. The only saving grace is he scored 16 goals in the month of January, February and March of last season, so their is a glimmer of hope that his game will take a turn for the better in the new year. Franko had 6+14=20 at this point one season ago before going on a tear.
- The greatest concern for the Rockets at the start of the season was improving their defensive play. Now it is generating quality chances in the offensive zone. The team is playing a much clearer game in their own zone and the turnovers are not as plenty as what we witnessed earlier this season. What I still notice is the d-men passing the puck into the skates of the forwards. Many times this happens when the d-men are not even being pressured. Frustrating to watch. Can you imagine what it is like for the awaiting forward who has to get his head down to fish the puck out of his skates as an opponent is ready and waiting to knock him on his rear end?
- It is interesting that many people on this blog are critical of second year d-man Damon Severson. The criticism is targeted at a player who often times turns over the puck, sometimes over handles it, which results in a breakaway for the opposition. But have you noticed his improved play at the expense of putting up points? Severson hasn't scored a goal in 13 games after scoring three times in the first 15 games but his decision making is much improved over what it was two months ago.
- How valuable is Spencer Main? Maybe more than first thought. Out with an upper body injury since October 23rd , the 19 year-old had nine points in 12 games before the injury against the Vancouver Giants. Main has leadership qualities and is a good face-off man. Having an older player in the lineup who buys in to what the coaches expect of him is of greater value than one who is on his own plan.
- Should the Rockets pick up Cougars forward Charles Inglis? Absolutely not. Inglis has been booted off of two teams as the result of off ice problems. You would need a strong leadership group if you were thinking of bringing in a player who is a distraction. As good as Inglis is on the ice, I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole when it comes to a trade.
- The Rockets seven game home stand is rare. The last time the Rockets found themselves playing seven straight at Prospera Place was during the 2008-2009 season when the team went 5-2-0-0. On this current home stand the team will be fortunate to earn a 4-3-0-0 record, that's if they can beat Lethbridge on Wednesday.
- Why do people leave Prospera Place late in the third period when the Rockets are down by only one goal? Isn't that the best part of the game? It is like leaving a baseball game with your team down by one but the bases are loaded. I don't get it.
Monday, December 5, 2011
Things that make me go hmm...
- ► 2017 (135)
- ► 2016 (144)
- ► 2015 (183)
- ► 2014 (213)
- ► 2013 (194)
- ► 2012 (236)
- Lambert mourns 25 years later
- Rockets fall 'short' to Shinnimin and Americans
- Welcome to Tri City
- First half awards
- Lackadaisical after nine day layoff
- Game notes vs. Chiefs
- A Kelowna Rockets Xmas Card with Zach Franko
- A Kelowna Rockets Xmas Card with Dan Lambert
- What's going on with Zak Stebner?
- A conversation with Kelly Guard
- Quick pics
- By the numbers
- Antoine Corbin
- Ending it off on a high note
- Look who I ran into
- Pic's from PA/Saskatoon
- Severely shorthanded in shootout loss
- Game Notes vs. Raiders
- Good day from Saskatoon
- A good old fashioned Saskatchewan introduction
- Marty's the man!
- Meeting Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall
- Pic's from Brandon
- Lots of shots, same result
- Random pic's from Regina
- Things that make me go hmm.....
- Pic's from Moose Jaw
- Cookies, Kelowna Rockets style
- Warriors 'power' past Rockets
- Where life makes sense
- Shootout loss in Swift Current
- Let's play Swift Current trivia.
- Game day pic's
- Rockets game notes vs. Broncos
- Pic's from Swift Current
- We've arrived in 'Swifty'
- Rock'n like a Hurricane
- Game notes vs. Hurricanes
- Detroit likes Damon Severson. Get in line.
- Things that make me go hmm...
- One step forward and two steps back
- Rockets' fall in one goal game
- Rockets game notes vs. Royals
- Wild scout Craig Channell
- What an effort!
- ▼ December (45)
- ► 2010 (519)
- ► 2009 (515)
- ► 2008 (396)