Monday, February 19, 2007

I'm Aching for the Organ

You've likely seen the skit on Saturday Night Live.

Will Farrell at his comedic best as a member of the Blue Oyster Cult as the bands supposed 'cowbell' player.

The band's Manager (played by Christofer Waken) likes what he hears from the band during a studio recording session, but comes into the room periodically and demands 'I want more Cowbell'.

While it's a spoof on the bands #1 hit 'Don't Fear the Reaper', if I had a say on what I'd like to hear more at arena's around the Western Hockey League, I'd say 'I want more Organ '.

I grew up with the organ as the only instrument at hockey games.

The sweet sounds of Keith Miyashiro at the Civic Centre in Swift Current playing favorites like, 'If your happy and you know it clap your hands' or how about the standard Da-Da-Da-Da-Da-Da....Charge!!

As a kid I would look high up to where Miyashiro was playing the lovely organ with admiration, humming to every tune that came from his finely toned fingers, as a filterless cigarette was hanging out of his mouth.

Organ music and smoking a dart at hockey games were common place back then.

Yes, coming home after a game at the Civic Centre smelling like I was at a smokers convention was all part of the experience.

It was a simpler time!

If you go into an arena today, it's 'canned' rock music 90 percent of the time.

Oh sure 'Thank God I'm a Country Boy' by John Denver will rear it's ugly head on occasion or if a player is injured on the ice or a pane of glass has broken, Stompin Tom Connors will sing 'The Hockey Song'.

But all I really want is more organ music. I know the days of having a live person on staff playing the organ is gone, but every once in a while throw me a bone!

I got a taste of what the good old days were like earlier this season in Calgary, when a recorded version of 'Da-Da-Da-Da-Da-Da - Charge' was played, and it quickly brought back the memories of my youth.

Right before my eyes I could instantly see Patty Ginnell and his cowboy hat on the Swift Current Indians bench. The sight of Sonny Sodke skating down the ice with speed while Mike Pawlenchuk was beating the crap out of a Estevan Bruin player, who out of fear, had just soiled his pants.

Now that was hockey!

That was the sound of hockey.

Today's games consist of public address announcers using every stoppage of play to either push a local business that has purchased advertising time with the team, or some other useless message about 50-50 tickets being offered until the completion of the 2nd period. The rest of the time is filled by mainly rock music, often times 50 decibels too loud.

Good luck if you are hopeing to talk to the buddy sitting beside you in the stands during a stoppage of play. Your voice will be drowned out by the crap coming out of the speaker and the only souvenir you'll have from the game the next day is a sore throat.

Yet when the traditional organ music is played in a hockey arena, the sound is titillating to the ear drums.
You often hum along with the tune being played rather than raise your voice in disgust.

I'm not saying get rid of all pre-recorded music that some people believe brings 'life' to the building.

But like the character in the Saturday Night Live skit would say if he was at a W.H.L game - "I want more Organ".

2 comments:

Ryland said...

Dear Mr. Bartel,

I love the way you call the game and I have sent you an e-mail saying it before. I have heard you give your opinion before and agree about 99% of the time, but have never agreed with you more in my life. I am a Seattle Thunderbirds fan and the only think I hate more than shootouts is the music they play during breaks. I would personally rather have no music than the garbage that the Thunderbirds play. I like when a team has a certain song that they enter too or a certain song they play when a goal is scored, but other than that the music is useless. The advertising is fine by me because it probably helps keep the ticket prices down. Just my opinion.


Ryland

Regan Bartel said...

Ryland I remember you! I hope you got my return e-mail?
I enjoyed my visit to Seattle Saturday night. Even my color analyst David Michaud, who was making his first ever visit to Key Arena thought the atmosphere was pretty good.
I love the banners. Hilarous.
As for the music. I don't mind a bit of Rock every once in a while but the organ music is nice to listen to.
I noticed the music they played at the 'Key'was from the 80's.
I thought I was back in high school.