Monday, June 27, 2016

Chizen taken late in NHL draft

Brayden Chizen
Shoot the Breeze Photography
It was a weekend Brayden Chizen will never forget.

The 18 year-old rookie defenceman was selected in the NHL draft in Buffalo, New York Saturday afternoon by the Minnesota Wild.

Chizen was chosen in the 7th round, 204th overall.

The St. Albert, Alberta resident believed he had an outside chance of being picked.

"I was in contact with a couple of teams before the draft. I knew it could be possible, if not this year than next year. If I didn't get drafted than it gave me a whole other year to improve. I wasn't expecting anything but I knew their was a possibility."

The 6 foot 8, 192 pound Chizen dressed in 45 games with the Rockets this season scoring once and adding an assist. He thought watching the draft on TV would be the best way to find out if an NHL team selected him, but it didn't turn out that way.

"The phone rang and it was my agent. He said, "how does it feel to be the newest member of the Minnesota Wild"? I didn't know yet, obviously, because nothing popped up on the TV but he explained it and it was a pretty cool feeling".

Chizen is now getting set for Minnesota Wild summer rookie camp July 10th.

No comments: