- Are the Prince George Cougars the laughing stock of the WHL? If so, they won't be for long if they continue to play with the same type of effort they showed Saturday night in a 3-2 loss to the Kelowna Rockets. The Rockets erupted for three goals in a span of about 5 and half minutes in the second period in a one goal win. The 7th win of the season didn't come without its anxious moments as the Rockets remained almost perfect (2-0-0-1) on a four game home stand.
- The Cougars opened the scoring and showed tremendous jump for a team that arrived in Kelowna in the early morning hours after a 5-4 shootout win in Seattle (Kent) the night before.There best player, Zach Pochiro, logged big minutes and goaltender Ty Edmonds gave them a chance to win with several solid stops. What won it for the Rockets was a terrific power play that erupted for two goals in a span of 2:55 seconds. While striking for two goals on five chances, I thought the power play looked exceptionally good. The game winner came on a solid goal mouth scramble that saw Tyson Baillie convert his 6th goal of the season.
- Baillie has now scored a goal in four straight games and is tied for the team lead in points with Nick Merkley with 14. It took Baillie 16 games to score six goals one season ago.
- Jordon Cooke was again solid in this one. The 20 year-old's save against Jordan Tkatch in the first period was phenomenal and his left pad save late in the third period to protect a one goal lead was crucial. Cooke's timely saves is why he has to be regarded as one of the best goaltenders in the Western Conference. Cooke is now 8 and 2 lifetime against the Cougars.
- Damon Severson now has the longest point streak on the Rockets this season. Severson scored his 4th goal of the season to extend his point streak to seven games. Severson had a six game point streak last season.
- The Rockets have 7 wins this season after 10 games. It took the team 14 games to win ten times a season ago.
- It was a pleasure having 16 year-old rookie defenceman Joe Gatenby join us on our post game show following the Rockets 3-2 win. Gatenby is well spoken and is as impressive off the ice is his calm, cool demeanor as he is on it.
Sunday, October 20, 2013
Cougars no pushover in one goal win
- ► 2016 (144)
- ► 2015 (183)
- ► 2014 (213)
- Cooke the crook - Audio
- Cooke: A 4th round pick that hit the bullseye
- Rockets spoil Royals record setter
- Rockets face Royals game notes
- The one that got away
- Rockets game notes vs. Hitmen
- Monday afternoon musings
- Cougars no pushover in one goal win
- Rockets game notes vs. Cougars
- Glover breaks ankle
- 'Cane Train' derailed
- Rockets game notes vs. Hurricanes
- 'Negative Ned' won't rear his ugly head
- Wheaton makes return against pesky T-Birds
- Failing to punish opponent hands Rockets first los...
- Rockets game notes vs. Chiefs
- Statement weekend?
- Cooke plays crook in four goal win
- Game Notes vs. Winterhawks
- Rockets take significant step forward with road wi...
- Rockets trade Johnston
- Rockets game notes vs. Tips
- ▼ October (22)
- ► 2012 (236)
- ► 2011 (336)
- ► 2010 (519)
- ► 2009 (515)
- ► 2008 (396)