Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Yonkman thirsting to get back in NHL full time

Nolan Yonkman wants to play in the National Hockey League full time.
The 30 year-old believes his chances are better now after signing a two way contract with the Florida Panthers this summer.
"I had a great time with Phoenix last year and I saw some games again in the National Hockey League. We are excited to go to Florida. I got a two year deal there and I am looking forward to it. I hope they have a good position for me there, get in some games and get back in the door to the NHL".
Despite being 6 foot 6 and closing in on 250 pounds, Yonkman has only seen spot duty in the NHL since he graduated from the Western Hockey League in 2001. It makes you wonder how a player that big can't find full time employment at the elite level.
"Timing. Teams want to develop their younger guys. I've turned 30 this year but as a defensive defenceman I might be playing my best hockey right now. Early in my career with Washington I kinda hit an injury bug there for a few years so it may have closed my window with them a bit. I'm feeling good and I hope I get an opportunity to play".
Yonkman played four seasons with the Kelowna Rockets from 1996 until 2000 before being traded to the Brandon Wheat Kings.
Yonkman has the bragging rights of being the first Rockets player to score a goal at Prospera Place.

No comments: