Saturday, October 6, 2007

Speed Kills. Just Ask the Rockets

  • They often say speed kills. The Kelowna Rockets didn't get killed Friday night, but Seattle's speed was evident in a 4-1 home ice loss to the T-Birds. The Birds used great team speed in handing the Rockets their 3rd loss of the season. Seattle looked solid in the opening period, dominating the Rockets at every turn. But as the second period rolled on, the Rockets got interested, and began the comeback despite being down 3-0. The T-Birds were content with the two goal lead after Rockets forward Cody Almond made it a 3-1 score. The Rockets out-shot the opposition 6-3 in the third, but the visitors knew that if they didn't open themselves up to error in the third, they'd come away with the two points, which they did.
  • Jim O'Brien is the real deal. He made his WHL debut last night, but was a threat to score. The Ottawa Senators first round draft pick didn't look out of place, having the privilege of playing alongside Bud Holloway. Look for Holloway to put up some big points if he remains a linemate of O'Brien's this season.
  • Jamie Benn looked pretty good in his WHL debut. While he failed to hit the score sheet, Benn had a couple of decent chances, including a breakaway pass from Colin Long, which sprung Benn free on a clear cut breakaway. Benn was hooked from behind by T- Birds d-man Ben Olson, and was unable to get a decent shot away. You can tell that Benn knows where to be to score goals. He'll get his fair share before the season is over.
  • Brady Leavold tried to look for a dance partner in last night's game, but nobody would fight him. The T-Birds did the right thing though. They didn't stir up a hornet's nest by getting involved with Leavold or James McEwan.
  • Justin Bernhardt played his best game of the season last night. Bernhardt showed a much better work ethic, battled for lose pucks, and showed good hands. Now 'Bernie' needs to pull that off more often. Myles MacRae was also better, and was rewarded with power play time.
  • I didn't think Torrie Jung was at his best. I've seen him play better. The T-Birds hit the post several times, and Jung just didn't look comfortable between the pipes. He did make some good saves, but didn't look like his confident self.
  • Join David and I tonight from Seattle as the two teams hook up again in the back end of a home and home series. AM 1150 has the game, starting with the pre-game show at 6:35 and the play-by-play at 7:05.

6 comments:

Jared Comeau said...

Hey Regan! It's interesting, you look back at the last time the rockets had 2 certified tough guys how far would you have to look back? I would be thinking back to the Scott Parker/Luke Curtain days...unless i am forgetting a certain year???

Batguy said...

Jared, I hope you are not saying Luke Curtain was a tough guy?

Jared Comeau said...

Meant to say Kris Mallette my appologies

Regan Bartel said...

I know that Parker and Fedoruk were teammates. How scary would that have been for the opposition?I spoke to Leavold last night after the post-game show was over and he said, "no one would fight me". He wanted to go with Ben Olson, but Olson stuck with the game plan of keeping the physical play out of the game.

Ryland said...

Dear Mr. Bartel,

I am a Seattle Thunderbirds fan and have been all 24 years of my life. I have always wanted to be a Sports Broadcaster and begin courses in the winter at a local community college. I enjoy your broadcast more than any announcer in the WHL and love your goal call. If possible I would like to chat with you when you come to Seattle later in the season. Best of luck in the rest of the season and may you always lose to Seattle. Go Birds!!!



Ryland Spencer

Regan Bartel said...

Ryland thanks for the compliment. Are we related? LOL. I would be glad to chat with you when we are in Seattle in February. I can tell you that getting into sports broadcasting was something I always wanted to do as a kid. My parents told me I'd either be a preacher or a broadcaster. I guess they thought I talked alot as a kid? Send me an e-mail reganplaybyplay@aol.com and we can talk next time I am in Seattle.