Thursday, May 24, 2007

You've Got to Hand it to the Hat!

Watching the 2007 Memorial Cup from afar makes me glad not to be the host broadcaster.
When the tournament was in Kelowna back in 2004, I spent the entire week working! It was fun in a sense but I
really didn't have the opportunity to take in the tournament like a fan would.
As the host broadcaster, Oldies 1150 aired every game which turned into 8 games in 10 night's.
Thank goodness a tie breaker wasn't necessary in that tournament.
I will admit I enjoyed the Memorial Cup's in London and Quebec considering we
covered only the Rockets games. Don't get me wrong - calling the MC final when the Rockets won the title was sweet, but when the tourney was over I can honestly say it was nice to get away from the rink.
_________________________________

I watched and listened to portions of last night's Tigers-Giants round-robin game.
In listening to Joe Kenward on the Giants radio broadcast, it again showed that a good crowd/ice mic is essential to giving you a better appreciation of what is happening in the building.
In Kelowna we have the luxury at Prospera Place of having the ice mic directly in the middle of the scoreboard. I'll admit the ice/crowd noise makes the broadcast sound better...and frankly I need all the help I can get.

Watching the Memorial Cup on TV and hearing Peter Loubardias voice makes me smile. No he doesn't have the best set of pipes, but can you name anyone who loves the junior game more than he does?
I can tell you I don't know anyone who loves the CHL more, or knows the league's better than he goes.
I laughed the first time I saw Pete do a game in Kelowna. He and his partner John Druce were calling the game and every time their was a good scoring chance, Loubardias would not only raise his voice in excitement but would lean back as the scoring chance was developing. Pete gets into the game both vocally and physically.
___________________________

It was interesting to see - or hear Loubardias pronouncing Giants forward Milan Lucic name Lou-cheech.
Frankly I said it that way all season long yet heard it pronounced differently by Dan Russell during the Shaw coverage leading up to the WHL final.
I understand neither is wrong
.
Labardious also is calling Tigers forward Derek Dorsett - Door-sit. Is it not Door-set? I know Pete is all about attention to detail which has me feeling I having been saying it wrong this entire time.
_________________________________

Is it just me or am I getting far to consumed by the Minnesota Wild taking their time in signing Rockets twenty-year-old goaltender Kristofer Westblom to a contract.
Maybe I want it to happen more than he does?
I doubt it, but man I'd like to see a 'good guy' rewarded for his efforts. I think Westy will play in the show someday and he'd look mighty fine in Wild colors.
The NHL team has just a couple of days to sign him as the deadline is set for June 1st.
__________________________________

I loved the pic's a couple of weeks ago on Rod Pedersen's blog of Taylor Field.
OK the stadium has a different name now, but I will always consider it Taylor Field - the home of the Saskatchewan Roughriders.
The old stadium is getting an upgrade with new turf this season.
I love that stadium and have such fond memories attending games there as a teenager. I doubt the Rider organization knew the impact they were having on me as a young teen at the time, but despite their lack of success they still managed to make me a lifetime fan. I hope the organization keeps that in mind with today's young fan. You don't necessarily have to win games but making the experience an enjoyable one goes a long way in bring memories to an individual that will last a lifetime. I am proof of that.
____________________________

I have to tip my hat to Rod Pedersen as he prepares for another season on the airwaves with Riders Radio.
Roddie has the ability to do both hockey and football very well, something that broadcasters try to tackle but with little success.
Pedersen can call a high tempo hockey game and then keep it low key until a big play in the game of football. What makes the feat more impressive is he can do it using the medium of radio - where voice, not visual is required.
Rick Ball is a broadcaster that I think found his sport when he landed the gig as the BC Lions radio caller.
Ball was solid as a WHL play-by-play broadcaster but in my opinion is more suited to calling the game of football.
The game has it's share of excitement at certain times but doesn't have the thrills that hockey provides.
I have called just one football game in my life and let me say it's a lot harder than it looks. In the Canadian game it's 12 players aside for a total of 24 men on the field while in hockey it's just 6 skaters aside for a total of 12 players on the ice.
I told you I was good at math!!
A tip for those hockey broadcasters wanting to make the transition to football play-by-play...saying the quarterback throws the puck is not recommended!!!
____________________________________

Media coverage from the Memorial Cup in Vancouver has been outstanding. How can it not be with the Vancouver Sun/Province covering the tournament with little else in the way of hockey to talk about.
Oh sure the Stanley Cup playoffs get it's fair share of coverage, but the real deal in town is what's happening at the Memorial Cup. The excitement will only intensify should the host Giants advance to Sunday's final.

_____________________________

The Public Address announcer at the Memorial Cup is a beauty!
John Ashbridge has those 'old school' pipes that are second to none. Just to hear him across the arena either calling a penalty or calling a goal is a delight.
In case your wondering, he is also the PA announcer for the NHL's Vancouver Canucks.

4 comments:

Rod Pedersen said...

Thanks for the comments Regan!! I think I've got it down to a science now (the transition between hockey and football) but there was an occasion back in '99 that I said there was "a faceoff on the 10-yard line."

I agree with you about Rick Ball. He does a bang-up job.

And I sure wish I had ice level mics at the Brandt Centre like you enjoy in Kelowna. Want to talk to Brent for me??

Regan Bartel said...

I'd like to get your take Roddie on interviewing the mature athlete (Football) compared with the junior players we interview over the course of the winter.
Are the football players tough to deal with? The junior kids love the fact that the media is actually talking to them while the pro guys may have a bit of an attitude?? Either way enjoy the season and I'll be cheering from out here in BC.

Hammer said...

Regan- Agree 100% with your comment on John Ashbridge. Not only does he have old school pipes, but he does it classy and doesn't try to be "the show".

A shame that we couldn't get him air-dropped into Ottawa or Anaheim. Having both of those guys in the NHL is depriving a couple of NBA teams of some top notch PA guys for how they do it there....

Regan Bartel said...

I've met John a couple of times and is a class act. He always asks me after a game in Vancouver if everything worked ok from a PA feed standpoint. Does he need to do that? No. It just shows what type of quality guy he is.