Friday, May 4, 2007

Moffatt+Mueller/Meeting Shane Doan


Peter Mueller and newly acquired Rockets bantam pick Luke Moffatt may just take similar paths in realizing a dream of playing in the National Hockey League.
Mueller (the Everett Silvertip forward) spent some time with USA Hockey's National Team Development Program and Moffatt is said to be considering joining that program once he's eligible at 16.
Or does he play major junior instead at sixteen? The Rockets hope so.
It's funny how everyone outside of the Rockets camp are trying to put the 'fear factor' into the fans in K-Town by saying Moffatt's potential move to the USA development program would shatter any possibility of him wearing a Rockets uniform.
But that's not necessarily true.
Mueller was in that same program - looked at the NCAA as an option - and saw the quickest way to the NHL in his mind was through the WHL. Mueller made the move to Everett, all be it at 17.

Did Mueller make the right choice by going to Everett?
The answer is obvious for no less than three reasons:

1) He played under a coach with NHL experience in Kevin Constantine
2) He played on a team where he was allowed to grow and mature and play a prominent role.
3) He played in a league which features 72 games - slightly fewer than the NHL level.

Those are just three examples on the positives that Mueller experienced during his time in the 'dub'.
Mueller played for his country at the World Juniors, was a first round draft pick of the Phoenix and will undoubtedly be playing for the Coyotes next season.
If Luke Moffatt has any reservations about playing in Kelowna, he should look no further than to Peter Mueller as a great example of the best way to make the step onto NHL ice.
That fast track to the NHL for Mueller came courtesy of the Western Hockey League.
Luke Moffatt...take notice !! Mueller will be playing in Luke's backyard this winter wearing a Coyotes uniform.
________________________________

I was informed by a friend of mine in Saskatoon that my name was mentioned on the Drew
Remenda radio show in Saskatoon this week.
According to my buddy it had to do with a comment that was made on this very blog.
It had to do with an article I read that said Jim Hughson has a say on who he wanted beside him doing color in the Vancouver-Dallas and Canucks-Anaheim series.
I wrote in this blog about Hughson going with Harry Neale over Drew Remenda. Whether he had a say or not on who joined him in the booth is beyond me? Like I said, it was in an article that I read in the Toronto Star.
The reason why I found that interesting was because I've met Hughson before at the NHL draft in Calgary and have had phone dialogue with Remenda.
I respect both of these broadcasters I hope the fact that I pointed that out didn't cause any friction. Once again it perked my interest when I read it in the 'Star' and that's why I shared it with you on this blog.
To think I have some insider giving me information on what happens at Hockey Night in Canada would be giving me far to much credit.
It's called surfing the net and finding something that interested me from a writer in T.O who was doing a piece on the media.
_________________________________

The Royal Bank Cup begins this weekend in Prince George.
Brent Howarth - the former Rocket - is there along with his Selkirk Steelers.
The Steelers open the tournament Sunday against Aurora. Who knows we may have a chance to see Howarth in our living rooms one week from Sunday when the championship final is broadcast on TSN.

_________________________________


All this talk about Shane Doan this week brings me to the one and only encounter I have had with the Phoenix Coyote captain.
I met Doan when he was attending the Olympic Orientation camp in Kelowna a couple of years ago and after a media scrum I thought I'd approach him and attempt to do a one-on-one with him on his junior days with the Kamloops Blazers.
My expectations were low going into my meeting with Doan, considering earlier in the day I asked Eric Brewer about his time with the Prince George Cougars and he just wasn't interested in going there. Maybe I caught him on a bad day?
But when I approach Shane Doan and asked him if he could talk about junior, his eyes lit up like a Christmas tree.
Every answer was awesome as he took the time to recount past battles the Blazers had with the Kelowna Rockets and all of the lopsided affairs they had against an arch rival when the Blazers were beating up on everybody.
Doan remembered players from the Rockets he had played against and his thought out answers were music to my ears as this 'NHLer' was in no rush to get through the interview or brush me off.
Shane Doan was top drawer, grade A and simply a class act that day.
He's an athlete that talks the talk and walks the walk as a Christian Athlete. He showed me in that one encounter that he is indeed a tremendous person.
So to see politicians from Quebec - who's aim it is to break up this country - taking a swipe at Doan by calling him anti-Canadian is a disgrace.
___________________________________

I am shocked over this move. I think Keilback is an outstanding announcer and pattern my style after him. This was a bad way to end the work week!!

The Phoenix Coyotes on Friday fired play-by-play television announcer Curt Keilback, the voice of the NHL franchise for the past 27 seasons.

Keilback said he was told by team officials that his contract was not being renewed.
"I certainly didn't see it coming," Keilback told the East Valley Tribune. "To all of a sudden to be told just out of the blue, `That's it. You're done,' is devastating."
Calls to the Coyotes seeking comment on the move were not immediately returned, but Keilback's name had been removed from their broadcasting team Web site by Friday night.
The move follows last month's front-office shakeup after the Coyotes suffered through their worst season since the franchise moved from Winnipeg to Phoenix in 1996.
On April 11, the Coyotes fired general manager Mike Barnett, director of hockey operations Cliff Fletcher and assistant general manager Laurence Gilman.

2 comments:

Jared Comeau said...

Lorne Frey and his men have become one of, if not THE best scouting staff in this league thats for sure...

In the 2000's alone. Chuck Kobasew, Duncan Keith, Jesse Schultz, Justin Keller, Randall Gelech, Both Ferguson's, Kelly Guard, Ryan Cuthbert, Tyler Mosienko, Travis Moen, Brett Palin, Spurgeon, Comeau, Weber, Gorges, Slovak, Bernhardt, St. Denis etc

In recent Drafts
2007
1st Round - Luke Moffat
2nd Round - Spencer Main

2006
1st Round - Tyson Barrie
2nd Round - Collin Bowman

2005
1st Round - Tyler Myers
2nd Round - Riley McIntosh
4th Round - Brandon McMillan (And how often can a team say that their 4th round Bantam Pick contributed big in his rookie season let alone make the roster)
6th Round - Evan Bloodoff (Same Comment as above)

2004
1st Round (20th overall) - Luke Schenn
2nd Round - Brett Breitkreuz
4th Round - Cody Almond
8th Round - Matthew Brusciano
11TH ROUND - Colin Long

I'm sorry, but the names speak for themselves...BANG ON LORNE FREY!!!!!!

Regan Bartel said...

I think Lorne does a great job and should be applauded for his efforts in this years draft.
He was quoted as saying that if all top 5 guys that he drafted show up at camp this fall it will be the best draft this team has ever had.
Sure they are rolling the dice on Moffatt, but over the years the Rockets have won more battles then they've lost. You point to Keith, Kobasew and getting them from college and other players that looked like they would play pro but somehow made it back to junior. This season saw the team on the other end by losing Cumiskey and Edler which was tough, but I have a feeling the teams good fortune will return.