Monday, May 7, 2007

I still can't believe Keilback got Canned

I am still in shock over the Phoenix Coyotes failing to renew the contract of TV play-by-play man Curt Keilback.
Keilback was relieved of his duties Friday after 27 years of calling Jets/Coyote games.
I first listened to Kielback as a teenager.
Growing up in Saskatchewan you usually gravitated to one of three teams, the Oilers - Flames or Jets.
I liked the Jets mainly because of the guy who was calling the games - Curt Keilback. I've
admired his work from afar over the years and have never met the man. At one point during the NHL lockout I tried to get in touch with him as he was calling some Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League games in a guest appearance role, but unfortunately was unable to talk to him.
Some will call him old school, and in a sense I guess he is. What I enjoy most about Keilback is his delivery. I love his voice and the way he uses it when describing who the puck carrier is. He was always explosive on a good scoring chance and had a good range in his voice which took you from a good tempo game to a tremendous chance on goal.
Sure he had flaws in the way he called the game, but who doesn't. One listener described him as an ideal horse race announcer. I don't think that was a compliment?
What makes Keilback's departure so odd is the fact that the broadcast location at Jobing.com Arena in Phoenix is named in his honor.
As a seasoned veteran broadcaster it would have been nice to see him go out on his own terms instead of being blindsided by the news the way he was.
As he said "I didn't see it coming".
______________________________________

You have to hand it to Shaw for broadcasting the Western Hockey League final.

Dan Russell and Billy Wilms have done a great job so far in the first two games and have had the pleasure of seeing two elite teams knock heads in the league final.
After calling the first two games in the cramped confines of the Medicine Hat Arena I'm sure Russell and Wilms are looking forward to calling the action from Pacific Coliseum for games three-four and five.
Leg and elbow room on a flight is always important...the same goes for in the broadcast booth.
_______________________________

I already know who I am going to be cheering for at the 2007 Memorial Cup.
Nope it's not the Giants - and it's not even the Tigers.
It's the Ontario Hockey League's Sudbury Wolves.
Let me clarify that the Wolves are in the Ontario Hockey League final and are now tied at one win apiece after an impressive 7-3 win Sunday over Plymouth. So let's just say they have some work ahead of them!!
Why would I cheer for a team based out of Ontario you ask?
I've heard so much about this team all season long from my color analyst David Michaud (ya he's a Sudbury resident).
Michaud informs me this franchise has never - ever won a league title.
Essentially they are the Saskatoon Blades of the Ontario Hockey League.
Infact the Wolves have the longest drought in O-H-L history in winning a league championship.
To say the Wolves are do is an understatement.
_________________________________

I was proud of myself Sunday. I bought a new barbecue on the weekend and put it together in about 2 hours.
Let's just say the one we were using needed to go considering my wife and I bought it with our wedding money back in 1995.
But while I assembled the BBQ on my own I have yet to actually light it to see if it works.
Call me crazy but their is something about a match and propane that kinda scares me!
______________________________

It was a rough start for former Kelowna Rocket Brent Howarth and his Selkirk Steelers at the Royal Bank Cup up in Prince George.
The Steelers fell 4-2 to Aurora in their opening game. Brent's twin brother Kyle had two assists in a losing cause.
The Steelers are on the ice tonight facing Camrose.

______________________________

Will he ever retire?

Roger Clemens is back with the Yankees!

Clemens is now 105 years old - actually he's 45, but you get my point - and still has some game in him.

I don't know who is more remarkable. Clemens or Detroit Red Wings d-man Chris Chelios?

Chelios is also 45.

I will admit I am not a big fan of baseball and it's tough to get interested when they play as many games as they do, but you have to admit Clemens is a pretty incredible athlete who is being paid big - big money to throw a baseball.

_____________________________

1 comment:

David's Color Comments said...

Pretty good day for me yesterday!! The Wolves head home with home ice advantage after pounding Plymouth and the Rocket is back in pin stripes!! Roger Clemens will be a difference maker for my poor Yankees! When the Yanks got off to their terrible start it reminded me of a comment that Bruce Hamilton made when the Rockets were struggling this year. He said "nobody is sending us sympathy cards" I'm sure big George and the rest of the Yankees weren't get many either. Just shows the difference between Jr and the pros...if you are struggling to win, you can always buy help!

GO WOLVES GO!!!