Thursday, May 10, 2007

Cumiskey Can't Wait for Next Season


I spoke to Kyle Cumiskey Wednesday. The former Kelowna Rockets defenseman is at home in Abbotsford, BC relaxing before heading out to Denver May 20th for a series of workout sessions with the Avalanche.
Cumiskey is one of only 5 prospects from the Av's attending the week long training session.
Cumiskey spent the majority of the year in the American Hockey League with the Av's minor league affiliate in Albany New York. He roomed with former Saskatoon Blade Joe Barnes who spent the majority of the season on the shelf with a broken foot, concussion and shoulder problem.
Cumiskey on the other hand had the privilege of playing in 9 games in the NHL and admits he loved the experience and the paychecks that go along with it.
Even the rookies are paid good money at the NHL level. How does 23 hundred bucks a day sound to ya?
Cumiskey says his summer will include buying a truck (he said he isn't rich enough yet to buy an Escalade) and attending the Rockets alumni weekend in Kelowna in July.
Cumiskey was drafted 222nd overall by the Av's yet saw NHL ice this season.
Amazing!
_____________________________________

Two former Western Hockey League coaches now with the Detroit Red Wings find themselves in the final four of the NHL playoffs.
Wings Head Coach Mike Babcock and Assistant Todd McLellan are preparing for game one against Anaheim.
Babcock was at one time the head skipper in Spokane while McLellan called the shots as GM and Head Coach of the Swift Current Broncos when I was there.
In some respects the two are polar opposites in the way they come across. Babcock is as intense as it gets while McLellan is a bit more laid back. Both are great coaches no doubt and appear to be a pretty good fit considering they joined forces as a coaching staff in 1997 when Babcock guided the Canadian World Junior team while McLellan was his assistant.
The two helped Canada win a gold medal that year and are now trying to win hockey's ultimate prize - the Stanley Cup.
________________________________


Dave Sheldon welcome aboard!
The Chilliwack Bruins made it official Wednesday naming Sheldon the teams new play-by-play voice.
Sheldon's passion for the game can't be overlooked. He loves the game and won't hesitate when talking hockey with everyone he meets.
I've gotten to know him very well over his time in Everett and with the Bruins. His enthusiasm and smile is infectious.

Sheldon is joining some elite company now that he is the full time radio man for the Bruins. He joins the Medicine Hat Tigers Bob Ridley as the only two broadcasters in the league that not only broadcast the games but the drive the bus as well.
_____________________________________

My blog buddy Jon Keen in Swift Current mentioned that he has now joined facebook!
Keener you are killing me here. I didn't think you'd stoop to that level.
I am surrounded by this 'facebook phenomenon' in our newsroom in Kelowna and it makes me gag.
From what I understand of this facebook crap, it's a competition to see how many friends you
have.
I hear my co-workers (females) bantering back and forth saying "I have 230 friends" while the other says "Oh ya I have 235 friends".
It's driving me crazy...can you tell? Half the work day is spent pissing around on facebook.
It makes me question the personel contact or lack thereof we have with one another. Where are we headed here?
First it was e-mail, now we learn what's happening to one another through our blogs and now facebook comes on the scene.
Heaven forbid if we meet face-to-face we won't know what to say to each other because we are used to communicating by hiding behind our computer keyboards.
I know what your saying. I sound old fashioned here. Yes I still listen to my 8-track player (Whitney Houston rocks), I love my beta machine to watch movies and my Atari video games can't be beat. I'll admit I'm old school.
AlI can say is if Curt Keilback joins facebook I'm all in. Until that happens I'll watch from the sidelines on this one thanks!
________________________________

For all of you Canuck fans out there:

3 comments:

Jon Keen said...

C'mon Regan, it's not all that bad. I can keep in touch with past and present players. If I need an interview I can send them a quick message and a call could be placed within minutes.

Plus it's good to keep in touch with friends from college and the hometown.

I use it as a tool.

Join the revolution...haha.

Regan Bartel said...

I am poking at ya Keener. I guess I don't get it right now, but like the blog it took me a while to accept it . You have to remember Keener that I still use a hand held mic and a reel to reel machine up in the broadcast booth.
I meam what's next - paperless newsrooms??

Rod Pedersen said...

No facebook for me gents. I'm Old School.

But I love catching up the news that matters on your blogs. Congrats to Dave Sheldon. What a great guy!

Jon, I sure hope you got that stuff with your trainer (re: our playoff series) straightened around. That still irks me.

RP