Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Martin putting on the (good) pounds

Cole Martin
Mailing it in wasn't an option for highly competitive Kelowna Rockets 20 year-old defenceman Cole Martin this off season.

Entering his final year in the WHL, the Arlington Texas resident hit the gym hard this summer under the watchful eye of former NHLer and now turned trainer Brett Severyn.

"I have pretty much been the same weight for the first three years in the league and now I had a huge jump this summer going up 20 pounds. A huge credit to Brent Severyn for pushing me to the absolute edge".

Martin sparkled at Rockets fitness testing, finishing third in the bench press behind only Tyrell Goulbourne and Dalton Yorke.

Not bad for a player who has a hard time putting on weight, yet still led the entire WHL in plus/minus with a +61.

Despite an impressive 19 year-old season, Martin admits he had to do some soul searching once the season ended.

"Especially being a U.S guy, living away from home since I was 13, you start think about options including maybe not playing hockey anymore. It's tough. It was a tough summer for me but I wanted to let myself know that I was going to put everything into it this year to see what I can do".      

One thing that is clearly evident when you speak to Martin.  He wants to win.  

"I would be pretty disappointed if we didn't go further. It has definitely been a big stinger to me each year and gets progressively worse. Last year was hard on me. I want to see us make a long playoff push and that is what I am hoping for", Martin added.

No comments: