- It is great to be back in Portland. Anytime you can stay in one of the best hotel's in the league (Crowne Plaza), play in one of the best facilities (Moda Center) and watch two of the best teams in the WHL collide in a playoff match up, I can't for the life of me find a negative. Ok, I have one negative and it is only minor. The trip from Kelowna to Portland is a lengthy one.
- The team arrived in Portland Sunday while Doyle Potenteau, the Kelowna Daily Courier's beat writer, and I made the trek Monday with the use of our radio station vehicle. You can't miss us on the streets of Portland. We have radio signage all over our Ford F-150 pick up and stand out like sore thumb. Thanks to Winterhawks Director of Media and Public Relations Graham Kendrick for taking care of us when we park at the Moda Center.
- I will be honest, I am glad that games three and four are at the Moda Center. The building has such a pro feel to it. The score-clock/video board is nothing short of outstanding and the fans make it a great place to call a game. Let's hope the Rose Buds make an appearance too.
- The crowd for game three should reach over 9,000. Game four's atmosphere is expected to be equally as electric.
- In the 2011 playoff series between the Rockets and Winterhawks, Jessey Astles would score the game winner in overtime in a game six win. The Rockets also won the opening game of that series with a 5-1 win.
- Who starts on goal for the Winterhawks tonight? Corbin Boes came into game two and was steady after Portland GM Mike Johnston pulled starter Brendan Burke after giving up a goal to make the score 3-1 Kelowna. I anticipate Burke being back in goal for game three. The 18 year-old has carried the mail this season and you can't kick him to the curb despite two less than solid starts.
- Both teams had a morning skate at the Moda Center. The Rockets had a full complement of players on the ice while the Winterhawks didn't put Derrick Pouliot, Nic Petan and Matt Dumba on the ice to name a few. Those players log a significant amount of ice time.
- I took the time this morning during the Winterhawks morning skate to talk with Head Coach Mike Johnston and Assistant General Manager Matt Bardsley. It was nice to just sit down a talk hockey 'off the record'. t
Tuesday, April 22, 2014
Good Morning Portland!
- ► 2016 (144)
- ► 2015 (183)
- Things that make me go hmm...
- 57 win season ends in five game series loss
- Cup half full or half empty?
- Stay out of the box!
- Jordon Cooke's finest hour snuffed out in overtime...
- Good Morning Portland!
- So, we are back to square one!
- Lees scores first playoff goal at perfect time
- Game One AM 1150 Intro - Lets Go!!!
- Is it Friday yet?
- Severson and Pouliot on opposite ends of the scale...
- Hurry up and wait!
- Well, well...look what we have here!!
- I didn't see this coming...not this quickly
- Shorthanded unit shines bright in game three win
- Game Day!
- Cooke carrying strong play into playoffs
- Rockets/T-Birds game notes
- Local businesses supporting Rockets with signage
- Severson serves notice he's ready to make impact
- Things that make me go hmm....
- Old school audio
- Tyson Baillie reflects on game 7 and looks ahead
- Cole Martin chimes in on T-Birds playoff series
- Rockets-T-Birds Preview
- ▼ April (26)
- ► 2013 (194)
- ► 2012 (236)
- ► 2011 (336)
- ► 2010 (519)
- ► 2009 (515)
- ► 2008 (396)