- The Seattle Thunderbirds got what they deserved. So did the Kelowna Rockets. The T-Birds looked like a desperate team in a 2-0 win Wednesday night at Prospera Place. Seattle, playing for their playoff lives, scored two-third period power play goals and didn't surrender a power play goal against in five penalty kills. The victory snapped the T-Birds six game losing streak while handing veteran goaltender Calvin Pickard his 11th career shutout thanks to a 32 saves performance. Jordon Cooke was equally as good at the other end of the ice.
- The best save of the game came from Cooke in the late stages of the second period when Seattle was on the power play. T-Bird forward Seth Swenson had Cooke at his mercy at the side of the net, yet in desperation, Cooke flashed his glove hand out and robbed the former Portland Winterhawk of a sure goal. Oddly enough, Swenson would score on that power play that extended early into the third period.
- After a scoreless opening period, the Rockets had a chance to bury the T-Birds with three consecutive power play chances. Yet on all three, the Rockets didn't create one real good quality chance. In fact, if they generated even three shots on the power play in the second period I would be surprised. The T-Birds pressured the Rockets at every turn and simply out battled a power play that looked disinterested. To say it was a rough night for Shane McColgan, Colton Sissons, Brett Bulmer, Carter Rigby and Zach Franko would be an understatement.
- The T-Birds defenceman deserve a lot of credit in the shutout win. While the Rockets looked uninspired, Cason Machacek and Shea Theodore specifically played with pride and passion. Even Mitch Elliot, who has been moved from forward to defence, stood out as one of the main reasons why the T-Birds won on the road for only the 9th time this season.
- Seattle's younger forwards, not the older guys, were the ones that shone brightly in this game. Justin Hickman and Connor Honey played well and the 18 year-old group of Tyler Alos, Colin Jacobs and Seth Swenson were key contributors in the win. Whether it was outworking the opponent or playing a physical game, the team which worked the hardest on this night was rewarded with two points.
- It marked the third time this season the Rockets have been shut out at home. Calgary (2-0) and Kootenay (4-0) have also kept the Rockets off the score sheet this season.
- The last time the Rockets were shut out three times on home ice was during the 2006-2007 season.
- Check out the photo at the top of this posting. That is Rockets rookie forward Tyson Baillie getting into a.......a.........a...isn't that a fight with T-Birds forward Justin Hickman? Nope. Baillie receives two minutes for roughing while Hickman finds himself getting a double minor for roughing. Who looks like the aggressor on this play? Got to love WHL officiating.
Thursday, February 9, 2012
Rockets' shut out on home ice again
- ► 2017 (116)
- ► 2016 (144)
- ► 2015 (183)
- ► 2014 (213)
- ► 2013 (194)
- Alumni Update-Kris Lazaruk
- Alumni Update-Dylan Hood
- Saying goodbye to February with a setback
- Former Rockets player battles drug addiction
- Preparing to face the Hitmen
- Rockets receive snowy reception in Medicine Hat
- Rockets flop back to reality
- Wow! Enmax Centre in Lethbridge in pictures
- Rockets pic's as we roll along
- Road Rash
- Sign here please!
- Beating the beast from the East
- Pic's from Edmonton and Kamloops
- Rolling down the highway
- Alberta bound...Alberta bound...it's good to be Al...
- #7 plays prominent role
- "Embarrassing loss" - Coach Ryan Huska
- Rockets game notes vs. Hitmen
- No where near good enough
- A well deserved point
- Game notes vs. T-Birds
- Good start - bad finish
- Game notes vs. Blazers
- Rockets' shut out on home ice again
- Rockets game notes vs. T-Birds
- Lyon Suspended
- Barrie makes NHL debut
- An interview with Tyson Barrie
- Solid Road Effort
- Late posting: Pics from Prospects Game
- Rockets game notes vs. Cougars
- Reflecting on CHL/NHL Top Prospects game
- That was fun
- ▼ February (33)
- ► 2011 (336)
- ► 2010 (519)
- ► 2009 (515)
- ► 2008 (396)