Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Rockets acquire high profile event

The CHL Top Prospects game is coming back to the west. Rockets GM Bruce Hamilton made it official this morning. The top 40 eligible players for the 2012 NHL draft will compete over two days at Kelowna's Prospera Place in the 17th annual showcase. A skills competition is planned for January 31st with the game itself on February 1st. It marks the first time the game has been played in BC since 2005, when the Vancouver Giants hosted it. The game was hosted by Edmonton in 2008. Here are a few notes from today's press conference.

  • Prospera Place is the smallest venue to ever host the Top Prospects game. Prospera Place, which has a seating capacity of (6007), is only slightly smaller than Windsor (6500), who hosted in 2010.
  • No word on if Don Cherry will be back to coach one of the two teams. Cherry last made a stop in Kelowna in 2004 at the Memorial Cup. We all know what happened then!
  • Who will coach Team Orr? Doug Gilmore took over the reins last season at the 2011 Top Prospects game in Toronto. A player with connections to the West would be a nice added touch behind the bench.
  • Close to 300 NHL personnel are expected to watch the two day showcase.
  • Former Rockets who have participated in the Top Prospects game include Shane McColgan, Tyson Barrie, Brandon McMillan, Tyler Myers and Luke Schenn.
  • Rockets GM Bruce Hamilton says despite earning the event, by no-means has this stalled their attempt at making a competitive bid for the 2013 Memorial Cup.
  • The last major event that Prospera Place hosted was the Canada-Russia Super Series in 2009.
  • Tickets will range from 40 to 50 dollars for the two day showcase. They are available to Rockets season ticket holders on September 10th before they are released to the general public.


jaz301 said...

It is always nice when big event things like this come here. This would be very interesting event to see. Hopefully I can make it (as long as season ticket holders leave some tickets for the public.

Ryan said...

zero chance for 2013 M-Cup to come as well now.

g.k said...

I agree with Ryan, there will be no chance of getting the Mem Cup now that we have this event!! I watched the Top Prospects game last year & it was not a sell-out alot of empty seats, we will sell this event out easily, another 500 seats or so sure would of been nice when they built this barn!!

Howiefelter said...

This will be a great event for the city.The memorial cup is not dead yet,but at least we have a very good high profile event coming to the city. Congrats to the Rockets organization for bringing this. Now I hope the fans will shoe their support and come out and cheer on the future.