Monday, September 20, 2010

A better appreciation for Mitchell Chapman

We've all had encounters in life with someone and come away saying, "man, that guy is a jerk".
But every once in a while it's nice to come away from a conversation with someone you don't know very well and have a better appreciation for that individual.
That's what happened to me this morning after sitting down with Rockets defenseman Mitchell Chapman.
I don't profess to know Chapman well, and frankly when it comes down to it, I don't often speak much to rookies either on the bus or at the rink. Unless they are offensively gifted in their first season in the WHL, like Shane McColgan, the media - me included - often stay away and let them have their space.
My encounters with Chapman last season were brief at best , his first in the WHL.
After a Monday morning workout though, I sat down with Chapman and discussed his life away from the rink.
He was open and interesting to talk too. No cliches here.
Let's just say I have a greater appreciation for Mitchell Chapman - the person - then I did prior to our five minute conversation.
The details of that interview can be heard Saturday night on our opening season broadcast on AM 1150.

1 comment:

Jared Comeau said...

Soo Close Regan! Hockey season is Upon us once again!!!