Monday, September 29, 2008

Things That Make Me Go Hmm....

  • Kamloops Blazers head coach Barry Smith isn't winning a lot of friends with Western Hockey League officials in the early stages of the season. Smith was extremely vocal towards them in a 6-2 loss to the Kelowna Rockets Friday night. I asked Smith one night later about his early season yelling antics. "For me I probably have to tone that down a little bit. I'm vocal and I think sometimes referee's think I'm yelling at them as much as I am at our players. I think that's just me. That's how I get into the game. I have a loud voice that carries. I try to get the guys going and keep them going and motivate them that way. I am emotional and have a passion for the game, and my emotion comes out. But I would like to bring that down a little bit because that comes to the forefront. I want my team to come to the forefront, not me."
  • I honestly felt sympathy for Portland Winter Hawks head coach Richard Kromm when I read two weeks before the start of the season that he would likely lose his job with a potential ownership change. As it turned out the team didn't change hands nor did Kromm lose his job. I asked the personable coach about hearing about the news that he was going to be given his walking papers prior to the start of the regular season if the team was sold. "Well you hear so many different things. A lot of it is just out there on blogs, and that's the day and age we live in. Their are lots of rumours floating around. We just have to focus on our jobs and put the best team together and help the kids, and work every day like nothing was going on. But does it feel like you always have a noose around your neck? "You know, because it's been going on so long it doesn't really affect us that much anymore. I mean obviously we think about it and talk about it amongst ourselves but we have to work, and we have to get this team off to a good start."
  • The Rockets have scored 14 goals in their first four games. Nine of those 14 have been scored on the power play.
  • Of the 14 goals the Rockets have scored, the 19 year-old age group has 6 of them. The 18 and 17 year-old age group have four goals each.
  • I should learn more on the status of Rockets defenseman Kyle Verdino later today. The 17 year-old was expected to see doctors today to evaluate his left knee. Verdino was cut down by Blazers defenseman Nick Ross in the 2nd period of Saturday's 5-4 home ice win.
  • Rocket fans had a chance to see Jamie Benn a little earlier this season than one year ago. Benn missed the teams first three games this season after attending the training camp of the Dallas Stars. Last season Benn missed the Rockets first four regular season games before playing in the 5th game after electing to leave the BCHL.
  • Under the category of useless information, Stepan Novotny and Curt Gogol share the same birth date, September 21st. Rookies Aaron Brown and Mitchell Callahan also blow out their candles on the same day, October 12th.
  • What happens when you lead by example on the ice? You are rewarded with an 'A' on your jersey. Kyle St. Denis has been super in the Rockets first four games this season, and the coaching staff have taken notice. St-D is tied with Tyson Barrie for the team lead in points (2+3=5). The likable St. Denis was off my radar when it came to guessing who would be one of four leaders on the team this year, but it's not always the loudest voice that gets the respect of ones teammates.
  • Don't look now, but second year defenseman Collin Bowman is almost half way to his point total of one season ago. Bowman had 9 points last season in 67 games. This year he already has 4 points after just four games.
  • Already 48 games have been played in the Western Hockey League this season. The home team has won 31 of them while the road team has been success 17 times. What that means is the home team has won 65 percent of the games so far this season.

3 comments:

JazzyMan said...

My wife and I attended the Rockets vs. Kamloops game on Saturday evening and for our pre-game ritual we like to start with 2 cold beers plus the left over change to buy our 50/50 ticket from our hard earned $20. Well that was last year....this year is a whole different story. We were both shocked to see the beer price go up and to boot the beer was served in a smaller plastic cup. Did the price of beer all of a sudden include a fuel sur-charge? Or is it the concession management company at Prospera Place becoming a little too greedy. My wife and I observed after each period that the line up for beer or alcohol was not as busy as last year. Maybe everyone in the arena was thinking the same as us....ripped off. I hope after Saturday nights game they looked at their total sales volume and realized they did not meet their average sales target as in prior years, and maybe by Wednesday night they can re-thnk their pricing strategy and cup size. At least one thing I am relieved is the price of the 50/50 remains the same....now that is good value!

Jared Comeau said...

Concession prices go up by 50 cents every year on a consistant basis...3 years ago a medium pop cost 2.50 this year it's 3.50... FOR A MEDIUM POP!!!

Regan Bartel said...

Interesting comment jazzyman. I will look into that for ya. I hate to say it but if you feel you are being hard done by, the best thing to do is stop buying. My general belief is they beleive fans will buy no matter how crazy the price is. Until they see a significant backlash, what you are paying this year will look like a deal next season.