Thursday, September 18, 2008

I'm Looking Forward To The Weekend


  • I am looking forward to the opening ceremonies Saturday night when the Tri City Americans raise a banner to the rafters. I hope the Americans make a big deal about winning the U-S Division title last season, after winning over 50 games a year ago. While the management and coaching staff may say it’s time to turn the page, it’s worth taking a moment and reflecting on a terrific season that featured more highs than lows.

  • I have the benefit of having my color analyst Gord McGarva join me for both games South of the border this weekend. McGarva will be like a kid in a candy store as he experiences Toyota Center and Memorial Coliseum in Portland. Often times it’s those around you that are experiencing things for the first time that make you appreciate how lucky you are as broadcasters to be traveling across Western Canada and the United States all winter long.

  • I want to thank Jon Whiting, a Seattle Thunderbirds fan for the nice e-mail he sent me this week. Not only did he have some nice things to say about my work, but he invited me for a drink with some of the WHL fans in his neck of the woods next month. I just may take him up on it, considering the Rockets play in Everett and Seattle on back-to-back nights. Remind me not to say anything bad about the Tips or T-Birds this season. If the e-mail from Jon is any indication, those fans in Washington State are a good bunch.

  • I am looking forward to my stop in Portland Sunday night. I am interested in seeing what type of crowd shows up considering the Hawks won just 11 games last season. After all the off ice turmoil in that city, are the fans turned off by all the negative press?

  • If I enjoy one thing about my trip to Portland, it’s the PA announcer saying “Here come the Hawks’ as they enter the ice. The sad thing is, I have never actually talked to the gentleman behind the microphone. We have exchanged hello’s, but that’s it. I will make it a point this season to stop by and introduce myself to an individual who brings a unique, yet traditional saying that has been heard at Hawks games ever since I came into the league in 1995.

  • I wanted to say a special hello on this blog to Ross Ruttle. The majority of Kelowna Rockets fans will know Ross as the deep voiced anthem singer who has belted out ‘Oh Canada’ at Skyreach Place/Prospera Place during the teams run to two WHL championships and a Memorial Cup. Unfortunately Ross Ruttle is ill, and his strong singing voice is no longer heard at home games. But that will all change Saturday thanks to the magic of radio. I searched into some of my old recordings of games from the 2004 Memorial Cup and found Ross singing in it’s entirety, ‘Oh Canada’. So on our first broadcast of the season, Ross Ruttle’s big voice will again be on the airwaves, as we have him singing the national anthem. I spoke to Ross today, and he’ll be listening Saturday night. He’s a special man who had the special gift of music taken away by illness. It will be a pleasure to have him grace our airwaves for the Rockets opening game of the season. While it may be pre-recorded, it will sound like he's there. What's so cool about his rendition of 'Oh Canada' is he sings part of it in french, and you can hear the Rockets fans in the background yell out 'Guard' at the appropriate time.

  • New technology hits the airwaves during our Rockets broadcast Saturday night on AM 1150. While it's old to some, it's new for me as we use a system of presenting the games to the listeners on the road with a clear studio quality sound, heard previously on home games only. I hope those listening enjoy the improved quality of the broadcast on road games this season.That's Colin Joe, now of the Saskatoon Blades. The 20 year-old defenseman will be wearing sweater #47 with the Blades this season. Not only that, but C-Joe has been named an assistant captain.

No comments: