- From an avid golfer as a teen to a dad of twin boys who plays golf once a summer. That's the story of my life these days. I dusted off my clubs Wednesday and took part in the Kelowna Rockets/AM 1150 golf tournament at the Harvest Golf and Country Club. The texas scramble tournament is a chance for the Rockets and the radio station to thank the many businesses that support us over the course of the hockey season.
- Rockets General Manager Bruce Hamilton had two special guests join him for Wednesday's golf tournament. Spokane Chiefs GM Tim Speltz brought his golf clubs with him, as did Bob Nicholson, the President of Hockey Canada. Speltz is in K-Town for the Western Conference scheduling meets today while Nicholson is getting set to attend the BC Hockey Hall of Fame induction ceremony in Penticton on Friday.
- Western Conference teams gather today in Kelowna for scheduling meetings. While we won't know for a couple of days on when the Rockets officially open the 2008-2009 regular season, we do know that the team will finally play in Edmonton, against the Oil Kings this season. Last season the expansion franchise made a stop in Kelowna, but the Rockets didn't return the favor.
- Ever wonder why the Western Conference scheduling meetings are always held in Kelowna? Why not Prince George? Enough said!
- The Regina Pats have a news conference set for today at 1 o'clock BC time. GM Brent Parker will announce the teams new head coach at that time. Only from what I've read, it appears Dale Derkatch is the individual Parker is leaning towards. That said, I would love to see Marc Habscheid back in the league, but I am biased with that thought.
- Congrats to Dave Sheldon for being named the new play-by-play man of the Vancouver Giants. Sheldon takes over from Joey Kenward, who moved to the Vancouver Canucks. Sheldon can not only handle the play-by-play duties with the Giants, but will also be involved in the marketing of the team. The question remains unanswered if Sheldon will be driving the Giants bus though. Sheldon was a regular behind the wheel of the Chilliwack Bruins last season.
- With Sheldon moving to Vancouver, who takes over on the air-waves in Chilliwack? I wouldn't be surprised if a new face, from outside the league, gets a shot at the Bruins gig.
- I found it interesting that Jarome Iginla is working out on the ice at the C-N-C by himself. The Calgary Flames forward, who makes Kelowna his off-season home, rents his own private sheet of ice for an early morning workout. Even the staff at the C-N-C are tight lipped on when exactly 'Iggy' is on the ice. Let's just say Iginla doesn't wish to have any spectators watching in the stands as he puts on a sweat.
Thursday, July 24, 2008
Things That Make Me Go Hmm....
- ► 2014 (122)
- ► 2013 (194)
- ► 2012 (236)
- ► 2011 (336)
- ► 2010 (519)
- ► 2009 (515)
- ▼ July (8)