- Saskatoon Blades fans, get excited about Curtis Hamilton. The 16 year-old (he won't turn 17 until early December) son of Rockets GM Bruce Hamilton has added some size over the summer, and looked in fine form during a weekend workout I witnessed at the C-N-C. I marveled at how much bigger he appeared to be on the ice, which his dad Bruce promptly said "My days of play wrestling with him are over".
- It's Torrie Jung's job to lose as the Rockets starting goaltender this season. Jung was the single veteran during a goaltending camp put on by the Rockets this weekend. Jung is sporting news pads and gloves, with J-U-N-G embroidered on both the blocker and trapper.
- Cody Almond, Brandon McMillan, Dylan Hood and Evan Bloodoff also took part in workouts on the weekend. I noticed Almond wearing gloves that had the colour scheme of the Minnesota Wild, the team that drafted him two summers ago.
- Montreal Canadiens defenseman Josh Gorges was in attendance at Saturday's workout at the C-N-C, as an observer. Gorges told me since the season ended with the Canadiens he hasn't even slipped on his skates yet. Gorges says the time away from the rink will make him better prepared mentally when he begins on-ice sessions as he prepares for a grueling NHL season.
- Gorges may not be on the ice, but he's working out hard in the weight room. Who is Gorges' training partner? Nashville Predators defenseman Shea Weber. Gorges says Weber is a monster in the gym, and is extremely powerful. Gorges says Weber is close to 235 pounds, not bad for a player who struggled to keep his weight at 200 as a junior aged player.
- Some guys have all the luck. Rockets assistant coach Jeff Finley had a chance this summer to play with PGA veteran Fred Couples at his new signature course 'The Rise' near Vernon. On top of that Finley played a tournament a few weeks back and shot a hole in one. Finley was rewarded with a new car.
Sunday, July 20, 2008
Curtis Hamilton Getting Big/Finley Has All The Luck
- ► 2012 (236)
- ► 2011 (336)
- ► 2010 (519)
- ► 2009 (515)
- ▼ July (8)