Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Wong weighing options with eyes wide open

Trevor Wong
There is much to like about Trevor Wong. The same can be said about his father Ed. The apple truly doesn't fall far from the tree. I had a chance to meet both of them prior to Tuesday's Kelowna Rockets rookie camp workout at Prospera Place.
Trevor is a well-spoken 15 year-old, who is still undecided on whether his path to what he hopes will be a long career in the NHL includes the Kelowna Rockets, or if the lure of the NCAA is a better way of getting there.
Wong says whatever direction he takes, it's a win-win for him.
"Making a decision like this is hard. I am going to have to eventually make it, and hopefully it is the right one".
Wong was selected 18th overall in May's WHL bantam draft, a day he won't soon forget. "I was in Philadelphia and got off the ice and I heard I was taken by Kelowna. It was unbelievable. I had heard nothing but good things about the organization. I was excited to be a Rocket. Now that I am here at camp.....its surreal."
Wong made a verbal commitment to Denver in November, but by no means is it a signed and sealed deal that he will choose the NCAA. If it was, Wong wouldn't be in Kelowna this week.
"When I committed to Denver, that kind of cleared out some (WHL) teams that I didn't want to go too, but their were a couple I would consider and Kelowna was definitely one of them".
The Wong's are well versed in what both programs offer. Wong's agent/adviser is well respected Gerry Johannson and the family is friends with Kamloops Blazers majority owner Tom Gaglardi. Johannson played in the WHL with the New Westminster Bruins in the mid 80's, so knows the benefits of major junior hockey. Heck, the 51 year-old also was an assistant coach/director of player personnel and assistant GM with the Tri City Americans for five seasons. Gaglardi's son played minor hockey with Trevor and has spoken glowingly about the Kelowna Rockets organization and the tremendous options available should they consider the Canadian Hockey League.
What will be the tipping point on which direction Trevor Wong chooses?
"Obviously, Kelowna and Denver both send guys to the NHL and that's what I want to do. At the end of the day it will probably come down to what suits me the best and my family. I am just trying to concentrate on Kelowna right now."
Mimicking his game after Chicago Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews, the 5'8, 140 pound slick skating forward knows this season will be his greatest challenge when he joins the Greater Vancouver Canadians of the BC Major Midget League where he will face older, stiffer competition. 
"I try to make players around me better by playing at a higher pace. I like to push the pace. I want to be a 200 foot player which is what will make me the next level player".
If Wong goes to Denver, it comes with a full ride American scholarship. If he elects to play with the Kelowna Rockets, the chance exists of playing in the 2020 Memorial Cup.
"The Mem Cup is huge and super exciting. Like I said, my decision will come down to what fits me best and my family, but the Mem Cup in Kelowna would be super cool and maybe that would be what pushes it one way or the other".

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Please revert back to the old style font. This new style is. too small and very difficult to read.

BTW, what is a "slewing" penalty?

Regards,
CPG.