- He was expected to dominate. If he didn't against his peers we would have a problem. I watched 15 year-old Dillon Dube closely at the morning session on day two of Kelowna Rockets rookie camp. Was he as good as advertised? Would he be consistently inconsistent like many young players are as they try to develop their game? Would he shoot out the lights in one session before becoming invisible in another? So far, the Cochrane, Alberta resident is making a huge impression as a no miss prospect.
- Dube's skating ability is above average as his awareness in the offensive zone. You can't teach that skill level. Either you have it or you don't. The 15 year-old spreads the puck around to his teammates but knows when a seam opens, its best to take it to the hole (using a basketball analogy) and shoot the puck in a good scoring area. Dube is clearly the best player on the ice. It will be interesting to see how he blends in when main camp opens next week.
- Dube played this past season in Notre Dame. Who was the last Kelowna Rockets first rounder to play at Notre Dame and end up in the NHL? Answer: Tyler Myers.
- Despite all of the talk about Dube, their was one defenceman who impressed me during the morning workout. Nolan Ferguson is a smaller play with loads of offensive potential. I loved Ferguson's composure with the puck and quick decision to join the rush and create something in the offensive zone. Again, this was a one time viewing for me, but I liked what I saw from the 15 year-old blue liner.
- With two days in the books at rookie camp, plays have two more chances to impress the scouts. There is still a lot to play for considering a player can be dropped from the Rockets 50 man protected list, or if he isn't already on it, can be added. Director of Player Personnel Lorne Frey told me earlier this week that he was hoping to list a handful of players from rookie camp.
Saturday, August 24, 2013
Day two rookie camp
- ► 2017 (95)
- ► 2016 (144)
- ► 2015 (183)
- ► 2014 (213)
- MacKenzie Johnston Player Profile
- Dube makes WHL debut
- Rockets reduce roster/Gatenby's good day
- Huska at the helm
- Cole Martin's brother and who's this goalie?
- First scrimmage provides good pace
- Five questions heading into main camp
- Day two rookie camp
- Dube doesn't disappoint/Whistle faces Weber
- Meeting my all time favourite baseball player
- Ready or not, hockey is back!
- A few random thoughts
- Rockets looking for play-by-play guy
- ▼ August (13)
- ► 2012 (236)
- ► 2011 (336)
- ► 2010 (519)
- ► 2009 (515)
- ► 2008 (396)