Thursday, April 18, 2013
Spurgeon has European title to go along with Memorial Cup
Tyler Spurgeon is a winner.
The 27 year-old won a Memorial Cup championship with the Kelowna Rockets in 2004 and now has added a pro championship to his trophy case.
Spurgeon helped his team - Klagenfurt - win the Austrian Elite League championship with a four game sweep over Vienna.
"It was their 30th championship that we ended up winning there. It was pretty exciting time for everyone in the city. They had been waiting, the past couple of years considering we had made it to the finals and we didn't win so everyone was pushing that we would get that thirtieth one".
Spurgeon has played three season in Klagenfurt and admits it does resemble Kelowna in a lot of ways.
"One thing that is similar between the two was the fan support we had. It is funny because the two cities are on huge lakes and summer towns with mountains. I really feel at home there in Austria."
Spurgeon even had a chance to play with Buffalo Sabres defenceman Tyler Myers earlier this season when the former Rockets defenceman elected to play overseas for Klagenfurt during the NHL lockout.
- ► 2016 (138)
- ► 2015 (183)
- ► 2014 (213)
- Things that make me go hmm....
- Jung headed to CHL finals
- Spurgeon has European title to go along with Memor...
- You need a little hockey luck to win a championshi...
- The straw that stirred the Kelowna Rockets drink
- Jordon Cooke audio from morning press conference
- Rockets' open/close season with overtime loss to B...
- Playoff success in Kamloops is well documented
- Goalies come up large (audio)
- Down but not out
- Rockets/Blazers game notes
- Third round bantam pick has first round fire power...
- Tyson Time! (Audio)
- Rockets about to join the chosen few?
- You won't like me when I'm angry
- ▼ April (15)
- ► 2012 (236)
- ► 2011 (336)
- ► 2010 (519)
- ► 2009 (515)
- ► 2008 (396)