(Photo by Marissa Baecker)
1) It is amazing what happens when the power play is working. The Kelowna Rockets scored two goals on it Wednesday night in a 4-2 win over the Everett Silvertips. The win, the Rockets 30th of the season, snapped a two game losing streak. It marked the 14th time in the 17 years the team has been in the Okanagan that 30 or more wins has been attained.
2) With the loss of Myles Bell and Madison Bowey early in the game, rookie forward Tanner Moar stepped up and moved back to the blue line to help MacKenzie Johnston, Cole Martin, Jesse Lees and Damon Severson. Moar didn't look out of place and used the KISS principle over the final 20 minutes.
3) I thought MacKenzie Johnston had an especially good game. The 18 year-old doesn't receive a lot of credit, but deserves praise on this night for his sturdy play.
4) Jordon Cooke, in likely his final start of the season, made 28 saves in the win. It was Cooke's first win at home since a 6-2 victory over the Tri City Americans at Prospera Place on November 30th.
5) When Brett Bulmer scores the chances of his team winning are increased substancially. Bulmer scored his team leading 33rd goal of the season and added an assist. It also snapped a three game pointless drought.
6) Shane McColgan, the Rockets leading point getter, scored the game winning goal. If you are one of the go-to-guys on the team you have to step up and McColgan did just that. McColgan's 18th goal of the season was scored by simply out-working a d-man behind the net and backhanding the puck past Tips goaltender Kent Simpson.
7) Cody Chikie scored his 18th goal of the season Wednesday night. The goal matches his career high set two seasons ago. Chikie now has 32 points, two more than his career high of 30 set last season.
8) I sure liked Tyson Baillie's first period power play goal. Anytime you see a forward pounce on a rebound like Baillie did after a point shot came off of Simpson's pads, you have to love that determination. The quick release was the key in his 9th of the season. The joy on his face after the goal was scored was clearly evident from the press box.
9) This game featured three fights, but the most lopsided came when Tyrell Goulbourne one punched Tips forward Jari Erricson in a late third period scrap. Then at the buzzer, Brett Lyon took out some frustration on Tips 20 year-old d-man Brennan Yadlowski in a one sided affair.