Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Franko commits/Matheson's gym work is evident

  • I spoke to 17 year-old Zach Franko this morning. The Winnipeg resident has indeed committed to playing in the Western Hockey League this season.
  • It's hard to believe Shane McColgan is only in his second season in the WHL. He looks like a seasoned veteran with four years of junior hockey under his belt. McColgan is going to have a solid sophomore season as one of Rockets offensive leaders.
  • I ran into 20 year-old Geordie Wudrick this morning before his first workout of main camp. Wudrick will leave for the Phoenix Coyotes camp on September 10th with teammate Evan Bloodoff. Wudrick says while some would think he is a slam dunk to earn one of three overage spots with the Rockets this season, he isn't taking anything for granted. I like that approach.
  • One of the big stories at training camp this year is Tyler Matheson. The 20 year-old has clearly dropped some significant weight in the off-season and he should be applauded for his efforts in the gym. These are the type of players you cheer for and want others to follow. Matheson was playing at over 230 pounds last season.
  • Twenty years. Yes, the opening of Rockets main camp this morning marks the 20th time this franchise has gathered to access the talent which will make up this years team. Amazing to think that majority owner Bruce Hamilton and Director of Player Personnel Lorne Frey have been together every step of the way.
  • A fan asked me this weekend if I was optimistic about the Rockets fortunes this season. My answer was, absolutely. I think this team is in pretty good shape. Tyson Barrie is arguably the best 19 year-old defenseman in the league. The same can be said for Shane McColgan as a 17 year-old sophomore, so why wouldn't I be optimistic. These are just two pieces of the puzzle. Add a supporting cast of Wudrick, Bulmer and Callahan and I can't see why this team can't win every night.
  • How the rookies perform makes you a real contender. Can a first year player step up and put up big numbers? Justin Keller had 25 goals as a 17 year-old and Jamie Benn had 33 goals as a 18 year-old rookie.

8 comments:

bigkev said...

did st. denis show up

CA said...

Big Kev, just a few months ago you were saying that Matheson was the worst Rocket ever. Even if he is a victim of the 20 year old numbers game, you should man up and give him credit for his preparations. Hopefully, my work with you is coming to an end!

Regan Bartel said...

I think Matheson's efforts is a tremendous story. I like him. He was banging bodies and was trying to make an impression. Good on him.

bigkev said...

hey regan, heard there was a fight this morning how it good and who was it

Regan Bartel said...

I took one to the nose Kev, but I think I'm ok.

MG said...

Matheson's fitness may be good and he deserves credit for giving it his all. However, his skill level, skating ability and toughness wasn't at a WHL level and I would be very surprised if all these things are now better and at the level they should be. At the very least if he makes the team I hope he steps up to plate and wins a fight or two when the bell rings.

bigkev said...

the new euro # 20 on blue looked good at camp tonight

JSA said...

Regan or anyone following the camp closely, hoping you could let me know how you think my nephew is making out at camp, Jayson Argue. Just curious.