- Rain welcomed the Rockets this morning as they headed to the Toyota Center for a light workout before game one against the Tri City Americans. No question who the starting goaltenders are in this series. Mark Guggenberger is front and centre for the Rockets while the Americans go with Drew Owsley. Owsley spent last season as the Americans backup in a second round series with the Rockets under starter Chet Pickard.
- Cody Chikie looks close. It has been exactly 6 weeks since the Rockets rookie forward went down with a broken collarbone. Don't be surprised to see him in this series at some point. Chikie scored 18 goals during the regular season and would be a welcome addition on the forward ranks.
- What type of crowd can we expect in game one? If game five was an indication in the opening round, 45 hundred fans should gather to watch the opener between the Rockets and Americans. The Toyota Centre seats just under 58 hundred.
- The Rockets have publicly stated that they again want to play a physical series in an effort to wear the Americans down. The Americans didn't have that intimidating, big body presence at forward last season, but have addressed that problem with the acquisition of forwards Todd Kennedy and Mike Brown. Both Kennedy and Brown like to intimidate and will make sure the Rockets don't take liberties in this series. I hope the Rockets see a lot of Brown and Kennedy. Why? The more Kennedy and Brown are on the ice, the less you will see the Americans top offensive talents.
- Look out for Americans forward Brendan Shinnimin. Shinnimin had 19 power play goals this season, second only to league leader Joel Broda of the Calgary Hitmen. Shinnimin had five goals in an opening round series with Chilliwack. The 18 year-old did not score a goal against the Rockets in last years second round series.
- Steady Eddie on defence. That would describe the play of Brett Plouffe, Jarrett Toll and Tyler Schmidt. These three won't wow you with points, but they play against the other teams top line and do a great job of shutting down the opposition. Not discrediting what Owsley did in goal this season, but Schmidt, Toll and Plouffe deserve a lot of credit for the goaltenders impressive statistics.
- We are on the air at 6:35 tonight. C u then!
Friday, April 2, 2010
Quick thoughts before game one
- ► 2012 (236)
- ► 2011 (336)
- Cally signs contract
- Myers officially named
- Hamilton confirms Scissons
- How about this from Bowey's coach....
- Article on Rockets second round pick
- Two d-men and small forward taken in first three p...
- Rockets 1st pick is?
- Shea Weber gets love in Sports Illustrated poll
- Tyson Time!
- Picking 9th isn't bad by any means
- On second thought
- Quick hit
- Two former WHL players singing it up in Nashville
- Duncan Keith up for Norris
- Myers up for NHL rookie of the year
- Listening ears
- Guggenberger/Bloodoff Update
- Ten questions yet to be answered
- Guggenberger and Bloodoff go Moose hunting
- Seven minutes and 56 seconds away from sending it ...
- Rockets season comes to an end!
- Random thoughts before game five
- It's time to rally
- Rockets need to look to Hitmen for hope
- Small goalie makes big impact
- Americans 3 Rockets 2
- Audio highlites from game three
- Brett Bulmer...a 3rd rounder?
- No intensity won't win you games at this time of y...
- Tri City 2 Rockets 0
- Game notes vs. Americans
- A sure sign Luke Schenn has made the big time
- My take on the first two games
- Almond scores 1st NHL goal
- Series tied at one
- Gutsy road win
- Photos courtesy of John Allen Photography
- Big hits, raw emotion, results in two goal loss
- Rockets fall 5-3 to Tri City Americans
- Technical problems in Tri City
- Quick thoughts before game one
- Follow us on twitter
- AM 1150's Kelowna Rockets 2nd round playoff intro
- Game notes vs. Americans tomorrow night
- WHL radio broadcasters make historic announcement
- ▼ April (45)
- ► 2009 (515)
- ► 2008 (396)