Thursday, August 21, 2008

Things That Make Me Go Hmm...

  • The cool thing about rookie camp is it gives the Rockets scouting staff, coaches and the odd media guy a glimpse into the future at what talent is on the horizon for this hockey club. But I don't anticipate some 16 year-old invitee to knock the socks off of everyone and get an invite to main camp and make the team.
  • Outside of the two Euro's, I am told two rookies have a tremendous shot of making the opening day roster. Unfortunately I am unable to tell you who those two are at this time. If you are a regular reader of this blog, I will be talking about them once main camp begins. Until then, my lips are sealed.
  • Remember, the Rockets scouting staff always have something up their sleeve when it comes to player availability. This years training camp is no exception. Stay tuned.
  • Even though I am unable to give details on these players, you may read about them in the Courier or Capital News this week before main camp starts? As an example, I was told not to say anything about the Rockets bid for the 2010 Memorial Cup only to see GM Bruce Hamilton make a clear comment in the Brandon Sun that the team was going to bid for the tournament. The article then appeared a day later in the Daily Courier. None of that appeared on this blog, at the Rockets request. As the teams broadcaster I will keep my trap shut, and will continue to abide by their wishes. So remember this blog is likely your last stop for breaking news about the Rockets, not your first. My opinions I will share...breaking news is best read on other blogs or in the local newspaper.
  • So the Seattle Thunderbirds have the best logo in the WHL do they? The Hockey News thinks so. I find it interesting that the Kelowna Rockets are considered to have the worst logo of the 22 teams. You wonder if the Rockets will re-jig their logo, considering the team will celebrate it's 15th year in Kelowna in 2009-2010.
  • I've taken a few shots at the Prince George Cougars on this blog in the past, but let me applaud them for a great looking logo unveiled to the media on Wednesday. Some say it couldn't get worse. Here it is if you missed it:
  • When I heard that the Cougars had an exciting announcement planned for this week, I thought it had to do with Cougars marketing man David Michaud. I've heard that Michaud will be playing goal at all of the teams practices this season. It appears head coach Drew Schoneck wants to give his shooters some confidence, so putting Michaud between the pipes should accomplish that feat.
  • Speaking of the Cougars, PGTV pretty boy Allan Bristowe was busy this week conducting a series of interviews for 'Cougar View' this season. Bristowe was taping several segments of the show down here in Kelowna. Bristowe and I had a chance to break bread Wednesday night as he made a brief stop in the city. You have to give props to PGTV for spending some cash by sending Bristowe on the road for what should be some tremendous features this winter. I won't spoil the surprise on who he interviewed, but Cougar fans are in for a treat.

No comments: