- It's anticipated to be one of the greatest days ever in Kelowna Rockets history when two players will be selected in the opening round of the NHL draft. Luke Schenn and Tyler Myers will hear their names called in round one with Colin Long and Brandon McMillan likely hearing their names called on day two of the draft. TSN thinks Schenn will go to Toronto while Myers will be drafted by Buffalo. Who was the last Rockets player to be taken in the first round? Scott Parker was picked 20th overall in 1998 while Scott Hannan was selected 23rd overall in 1997.
- It appears Luke Schenn will make Kelowna Rockets history today. If Schenn is picked 4th or 5th, he will become the highest selected Rockets player in franchise history. Former Rocket Kyle McLaren holds that honor after being picked 9th overall in 1995 by Boston.
- The picture above is an 8 year-old Luke Schenn. I talked with Luke before he left for Ottawa, and his interviewing skills make him sound like a pro. "I'm going to do whatever it takes to be NHL ready and give myself the best opportunity this summer. It doesn't matter which camp you go to. If it's the NHL camp, with which ever team it is or a World Junior camp, or the Kelowna Rockets camp, you have to go in there ready to compete and make the team. I think if you didn't have that mindset their would be something wrong."
- I spoke to Everett Silvertips forward Kyle Beach by phone Thursday afternoon. Originally I left a message for him on his cell phone to call me. Fifteen minutes later he called me back. Not bad for an 18 year-old who had just spent an hour answering questions from the national media. What does that say about this kid? Enough said.
- Beach will have his mom, dad, sister and girlfriend in his corner on draft day. The Kelowna minor hockey product will undoubtedly do us proud. This is what he told me when I asked him about some NHL scouts being leery of his bad boy reputation. "I think some things have been blow out of proportion. It's like the game you play in elementary school where you start with the word oreo and by the end of the day it comes out as cheeseburger. It's definitely interesting hearing some of the rumours out there and hearing what people come up with, but I know what's true and what's not true and hopefully people will realize that when they get to know me in the future".
- I loved the comments from John Becanic, the head coach of the Everett Silvertips in Thursday's Province newspaper. Becanic had nothing but glowing things to say about the Kelowna resident, and said that the GM that takes him in today's draft will look like a genius. Their is no one who should know Kyle better than John Becanic. Would Becanic put his own reputation on the line by misinforming NHL scouts about what Kyle Beach is like as a player, both on and off the ice? Becanic is not that stupid!
- Swift Current Broncos play-by-play man John Keen is my eyes and ears in Ottawa at the NHL draft. I have recruited him to provide some audio from NHL GM's that are fortunate to pick Luke Schenn and Tyler Myers in round one.
- Rockets GM Bruce Hamilton, Director of Player Personnel Lorne Frey, Head Coach Ryan Huska and former coach Jeff Truitt will all be at the draft in Ottawa.
Friday, June 20, 2008
Schenn-sational Day for Kelowna Rockets?
- ► 2012 (236)
- ► 2011 (336)
- ► 2010 (519)
- ► 2009 (515)
- Things That Make Me Go Hmm...
- C-Joe Sent To Saskatoon
- Saying Goodbye To The Man I Know As 'Mosh'
- Tyson Barrie's Dad In Spotlight
- Long's Belated Birthday Gift from Gretzky
- Schenn/Myers/Beach - Congrats!
- Schenn-sational Day for Kelowna Rockets?
- Tips Come Draft Day
- Truitt's Time
- Speaking To Hamilton in Cowtown
- Non Hockey Related, But Life Changing
- ▼ June (11)