Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Non Hockey Related, But Life Changing

Life.
We take it for granted don't we?
I did until last Friday when I was told by a doctor that my mom has a brain tumour. The news hit me like a ton of bricks. I was sick inside, and sadden at the possibility of losing not only my mom, but my friend. Up until last Friday, I can honestly say that my immediate family has never faced a sever illness, and while extended family and friends have faced hardships, those struggles seemed so distant.
Now, with my mom diagnosed with a brain tumour, life has become so fragile.
I know that fellow blogger Ryan Switzer lost his mom at a young age, and I can't even fathom the loss he must have experienced then, and how much he misses her today.
My brother-in-law lost his dad when he was 20, and still tears up when he speaks about a father he wish he had gotten to know better.
And while my mom is nearing 70 and we've had so many good times together, it pains me to see her suffer. When a loved one is struggling through illness their is nothing more helpless than simply being there for support and letting the doctors do their best to help her through this battle.
I spoke to Shea Weber's mom this week about her battle with a brain tumour. She told me it's now been five years since she was first diagnosed, and she is nothing short of a fighter. What amazes me now is Shea was able to concentrate on hockey during a time when his mom was fighting for her life.
Amazing!
That said, in the past when I heard of other people going through health struggles, I sympathized with them, but only to a certain degree. It didn't affect me directly, so the problem seemed so distant. It's only now, that I face a similar situation, that my heart has grow heavy for what others and their family member may be going through.
Let's just say this experience has made me more compassionate for my fellow man.
What I've been most encouraged by during this tough time is the support of others. Friends, colleagues and even acquaintances have had such positive words for me. I can only take what I've learned from others through this gut wrenching experience and apply it to my life.
How will I respond next time I hear a story of a friend or acquaintance who has lost a loved one or has been stricken with a sever illness? Far different than a week ago. This life changing experience has likely made me a better person, and without a shadow of a doubt has made me a more compassionate person towards others.
Like she did when I was just a little kid, my mom has again taught me a valuable lesson.

8 comments:

Kevin said...

Hey Regan: My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. What you said about viewing compassion in a different light is so true. I lost my dad and you do look at life alot different and at others with a sick family member or loss. I know who your mom is as my in laws house sat for them one winter in Swift Current.Stay strong buddy and all of us in Swift Current are pulling for you.

Kevin

Jared Comeau said...

Regan! My Prayers are with you and your family in this dire time.

Karen said...

My thoughst and prayers are with you and your family.
You are a part of some many peoples lives as we listen to you doing the play by play on the radio.
I know about life being short as my nephew was the young man killed in the bike accident in Penticton on Monday

Sir Loungealot said...

I am very sorry to hear about your mom. I know its still early into the diagnosis, and I pray that the news turns for the better. That being said, I'm sure she's a fighter, and that your family will all stand together to give her the strength to beat this thing.

My prayers go with your mom and your family.

rhonda beach said...

From our family to yours- we are thinking of you and your mom as you both deal with this difficult time. We hope she wins her battle and that you both have many more quality years together. Have hope, stay positive.

becky said...

Hello Regan. So sorry to here about your mother. She is such a nice lady and i allways enjoyed seeing her from the time we worked across the hall from each other in Swifty,or running into her at the rink in Kelowna or Swift Current She also wrote me the nicest letter when Craig left Ktown. Please send her my best wishes and let her know I am praying for her. I found in my own battle with cancer that the best thing you can do is believe in your doctors, lean on family and frinds as they love you and want to help and have a sense of humor. I spent time at the cancer clinic with an amazing group at the time two of them were given less than 10% chance of survival. Today 51/2 years later they are doing great and we all attribute part of it to all the laughs we had during treatment while staying at the cancer lodge. Our prayers are with and your family through this terrible time. You mentioned Bev Switzer who was such a wonderfull lady and many times when i listen to Ryan Switzer I think how proud of him she is for I just know she's listening. I recently was at a mothers day tea where the lady who was running it spoke and said how her mother had died in march after being diagnosed in dec. For christmas she wrote her mother a letter telling her evcerything she loved about her. I went home and wrote my mother one also and it was great therapy because if something ever happens she knows because of her i'll be allright.
Good Luck and God bless.
The Cuthberts

ed said...

Hey Regan: My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. I feel your pain and know what you are going through right now I lost my Dad last year.All I can say is try to stay strong be there for your Mom and family.Once again I am so sorry to here about your Mom could you please give her a hug for me.

Regan Bartel said...

Thanks so much for the kind words, many of which I have past onto my mother. Thanks again.

Regan