Monday, November 7, 2016

This sucks

Being injured as an athlete is frustrating. I've been there, so I have first hand knowledge of what it's like being unable to help your team. It is no fun. Despite wanting to play, your body just won't allow it to happen.

I've been dealing with a debilitating injury, which may seem minor to some, but it is a realistic problem for those who have been inflicted with severe lower back pain. A week ago today, my back went out on me. In an effort to stay healthy, both physically and mentally, I went for a workout and picked up a heavy weight from the gym floor with my right arm. Something in my lower back went out and dropped me to my knees in excruciating pain. While I was able to make it home, once I lied down on my bed, I was literally unable to move. It was both scary and painful. I went through a series of back spasms that can only be described as taking my breath away. It is the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced in my 48 years on this planet. 

Try as I might, I couldn't make a quick recovery and bed rest and time were required in order to get back in the broadcast booth. Thanks to the quick actions of Dr. Mike Bobyn, who was able to prescribe pain killers and muscle relaxers, I was able to make the slow recovery which eventually allowed me to walk again and take the stairs in my two storey home. It was only a pipe dream a few days prior. 

It was frustrating not being able to be in the broadcast booth calling Rockets games. I had to come to the realization that games Tuesday, Friday and Saturday were just not feasible. It was the first time in my 22 years as a WHL broadcaster where I was forced to miss three straight games. It felt like 30 and my body felt like I was 90. Fortunately, I had the ability to call on Kevin Parnell to take the reins and call the action while I was bedridden. 'Parny', as I like to call him, is a faithful friend and I appreciate him for carrying the mail during my absence. 

Having a severe back injury takes time to heal, and I am not out of the woods by a long shot. Stretching and a good relationship with my chiropractor will become common place from now on.
I have learned the hard way that an ounce of prevention is like a pound of cure and it's best to listen to your body or it will eventually break down.

Everyday I am making small improvements. The pain is less and the range of motion is greater. I also have a greater appreciation for those who suffer, to even a greater degree than I have, with lower back pain.

I look forward to being BACK in the broadcast booth Saturday night.

No comments: