Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Foote rated first rounder

Cal Foote - Shoot the Breeze

TSN prospect analyst Craig Button has released his list of the top 30 players eligible for next June's NHL draft in Chicago.

Kelowna Rockets defenceman Cal Foote is ranked 20th according to Button.

The 17 year-old (won't turn 18 until December 13th) admits he has heard the pre-draft hype and the possibility of following in his fathers footsteps.    

"With all the draft stuff, I am going to try to keep it as far away as possible. I am going to try to play my game and leave what people say outside of the rink. I am going to try to not worry about it, play the right way and just worry about that".   

It can't be easy playing in the shadows of his famous hockey father, Adam, who played 18 seasons in the NHL. Adam Foote is considered one of the best shutdown defenceman during a career that saw him play with the Quebec Nordiques, Colorado Avalanche and Columbus Blue Jackets. Adam Foote was a second round selection of the Nordiques, 22nd overall, in the 1989 entry draft. 

The elder Foote says he doesn't want to get in Cal's way of achieving his goal of eventually playing in the NHL.

"Paying attention and seeing these NHLers kids through time make it, some are around more than others, it is there time. It is there game. It is there career. It is not mine. It is not about me. It is about them and I really believe that I have to stay out of it and I want to stay out of it", Foote told me.       

While Cal is projected to be a high pick in next summer's draft, younger brother Nolan, 16, will be making his Western Hockey League debut this season.

Adam will have the pleasure of watching both sons closely, with the plan of building a home in Kelowna and having both Cal and Nolan under the same roof, the same way the two boys grew up while being raised in Denver, Colorado.

"I knew they (Rockets) were a real good organization, but when I really looked into it, I didn't know they had these many banners. I was aware of the defenceman that they have developed. I got to coach him (Cal) for four years and now it is fun for me to let him (Cal) go and let someone else develop him and I think he needs that", Foote added.

No comments: