Thursday, September 1, 2011

Paddock warns junior players to enjoy WHL experience.

Leaving junior hockey and playing pro isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Just ask Cam Paddock.
The Kelowna Rockets alumnus has spent time in the East Coast League, the American Hockey League and with the NHL's St. Louis Blues.
Now he's looking for work after spending last season overseas.
I spoke to Paddock this week after he strolled into Rockets training camp to watch his former team go through the paces.

Where are you playing this season?

"It is a waiting game. Basically I am seeing where is the best option for me. There is about another two or three week window before I start worrying a bit."

You played in Germany last season?

"Germany was great. The hockey side of it wasn't that great for me. It didn't work out exactly as planned but the country was beautiful and my girl friend and I had a great time out there, so it was good".

Will you never play North American hockey again?

"I maybe panicked a bit last year and gave up on the AHL experience. I am not looking it as being relegated at all...I am trying to come back to the American League. That would be great but if I have to go overseas that is alright with me too."

As you watch Rockets training camp, do they look young to you?

"In some ways I'm envious of them. They know exactly what is coming up and they know they are playing junior hockey from 16 to 20 and then you worry about whatever comes after. These guys are bigger and stronger than we were at that age. To be honest, these guys won't say it and Ryan (Huska) or Bruce (Hamilton) won't say it but training camp sucks and we all know that. We (players) just want game one of the regular season to get started and I am sure that's what these guys are looking forward too."

No comments: