Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Truitt wears Team Canada Colors

Here is the conversation I had this morning with Jeff Truitt on being named to the coaching staff for the Under 18 team:

JT: "Ya it's a great opportunity. It's one that is very similar to the one last summer with the under 18's as an assistant coach. You get to work with different coaches, and last year it was Cory Clouston and Dave Hunchak, and this year you get to work with Trent Yawney who has N.H.L coaching experience, and Mike Stapelton who is the Head Coach on Erie, so you get a bit of a different perspective on how they operate things".

RB: Jeff do you know Trent (Yawney) at all?

"I know Trent a bit when he was in Norfolk. I know that he would call here every once in a while and we'd chat, and being Saskatchewan boys, I've met Trent on a number of occasions."

RB: You are off to Finland. When do you officially take over the new role?

JT: "I believe we will be assembling in Toronto on April 2nd and we'll be there for a couple of days until a couple of more players are going to be announced. We will fly out on the 5th of April and begin the tournament from there".

RB: When did you get the idea you were being considered for this position? What was the time line?

JT: "It basically happened the day after our season ended. They asked me if I would be interested in going and I was still wrapped up in our situation here and wanted to make sure we got through our season which was important. Speaking with Bruce (Hamilton), he endorses it and said for sure, it would be a great experience so then Hockey Canada came back to me again and I confirmed officially yesterday".

RB: Jeff is this a prelude to potentially a coaching job with the Canadian World Junior team this winter?

JT: "You never know. Their are always a lot of great applicants out there. It's great to have the experience within Hockey Canada. It's definitely a thrill, but I think you just want to be in the program and when they (Hockey Canada) come knocking you except that responsibility. So where ever it leads I'm not sure but if the scheduling is right, you take advantage of it."

No comments: