Sunday, August 16, 2020

Long time - no blog!

Long time, no talk: Hey kids. A long time between personal entries on my space on the 
interweb. 
Do I have a good excuse? I think I do. Can I blame COVID-19? Partially. It took the wind out of my sails much like it did for many around me. Compound that with my father's death February 18th, I was pretty much tapped out and in survival mode. Once the playoffs were cancelled and the Memorial Cup in May was sent to the recycle bin, it was all about keeping my head above water and dealing with life while making the best of turbulence around me. No, I was never in deep depression from the turmoil, but I was extremely worried about how this unknown virus was going to impact my life and those closest to me - long term. While its six months since my dad passed away, I am so grateful that he didn't have to experience this crazy time and being unable to see an elderly loved one face-to-face. For those that face this dilemma, my heart goes out to you. 

Managing COVID stress: We all manage stress in different ways. Some eat more. Others look to alcohol to cope. I've always found exercise to be my best friend. During the height of COVID, I was forced to use my garage as a way of blowing off steam. While I prefer the gym, I made the transition smoother than I thought with the use of an exercise band, which I swear I would never use. With no free weights, it's the only space saving option and honestly I've really enjoyed it. With a treadmill already in my house, I am able to get a good sweat going and I've enlisted winter tires and a fence bar to mimic the bench press. Will I eventually go back to the gym? Sure, but once we get a better grasp on the number of cases locally and the medical community gets a better handle on what the virus can and can not do. For me, being in an enclosed area with other gym enthusiasts who are breathing hard isn't safe enough. I will stick with my home gym in a garage that features the smell of my teenage boy's dirt bikes. 

Lost picks but ability to recoup assets: In reflecting back on the 2020 Memorial Cup being cancelled in May, my heart goes out to the organizers that put their heart and soul into making the event a huge success. Kelowna is spectacular at any time and it would have showed off how sexy she is by hosting the prestigious event. I also feel for the Rockets organization that had to mortgage the future to build a contending host team. A lot of first round bantam draft picks were paid to acquire Matthew Wedman, Connor McDonald and Dillon Hamaliuk, in a trade in May, 2019 with Seattle that also included Jake Lee and Cole Schwebius. In the future, that is no first round pick in 2021, 2022 and 2023. That said, will the team deal off an asset in the near future to recoup one of those 1st round picks? My feeling is they will. 

Kelowna's dream isn't over: With the Memorial Cup in Kelowna now a distant memory, will 'we' get it back in 2023 when the WHL hosts again? My belief is it will happen, with hard charging Kamloops and likely Victoria throwing their hat into the bidding ring. Remember, Victoria pulled out of the bidding for the 2020 tournament and Kamloops still hasn't gotten over why they weren't chosen over Kelowna. Its a deep wound that won't heal.

Let's not forget: Kelowna was awarded the 2020 Memorial Cup in October of 2018. The season prior, the Rockets had 43 wins. Kamloops had 30 victories and 28 fewer points. While Kamloops wants to lean on the fact they were built for a better team than Kelowna come 2020, those voting likely looked at recent success where, clearly at the time, the Rockets had a better team statistically. Were the Blazers better than the Rockets going into the 2020 tournament? 22 points better.

Dube doesn't look much different: Everyone is going gaga over Dillon Dube's beard. Sure its mightily impressive, but heck, he had it going on when he was 16. The photo on the right is proof from his time with the Kelowna Rockets in the 2015 Memorial Cup in Quebec City. Dube is a hairy freak!!!

Can we squeeze in 68 in 5 months? So we are playing again in December are we? December 4th to be exact. League governors want to play a full 68 game schedule, but that will be tough to accomplish with the loss of two months of the schedule that typically starts in late September. If you look at the Rockets 2019-2020 season, the team played 25 games from September 21st to the end of November. You can shorten the Christmas break by a few days, but it will be awfully hard to squeeze in those games over such a small window. Extending the regular season is likely in the cards, meaning playoffs won't start until late April, with the format looking significantly different with the possibility of shorter opening round playoff series. I know that brains much smarter than mine have it all figured it, but it is fun to speculate on what they possibly will do.

No hockey in the fall? It's been 25 years since I've entered the turning of the calendar to September with no hockey on the horizon. It was 1994, a year prior to being granted the opportunity to be the radio voice of the Swift Current Broncos where I was afforded that luxury. In late August, my schedule has always included rookie camp and the start of pre-season in early September. That won't be the case this year. The adjustment to a 'new normal' will be a strange one. I can only imagine how mind boggling it will be for the players and coaches.

Right decision: I applaud the WHL higher-ups for backing the season off until early December. When it was originally announced that early October would be the start of the regular season, I just couldn't see it happening. This COVID-thing has turned our lives upside down and still too many questions remain with the closure of the Canada-US border until late September. 

Wash your hands: If and when we re-start, players are going to have to go through a course known as HYGIENE 101. Trust me, I am a father of 17 year-old twin boys. They are a mess. They are the last to wash there hands. They are the first to openly cough rather than doing it in their sleeve. I have been traveling on junior buses for 25 years and players are loose in their hygiene practices. An open bag of chips where hands are dipping in and out of the bag will have to be off limits. Sharing homemade cookies made by a billet or mom will be a no-no. These players will need to be reminded time and time again to wash hands, don't share food and essentially be a germaphobe, or mimic one, until a vaccine is found. 

No horse in the race: With the NHL playoffs in full swing, I too was watching with interest on how things would unfold. So far, the play on the ice has been terrific considering the long layoff and the radio announcers, or any announcer that was forced to call games on a monitor in a radio studio, as opposed to being at the area, deserve much credit. With no team to cheer for with Edmonton going down in a five game series to Chicago, my focus is on supporting all the Canadian teams that remain live. That means the Canucks, Flames and Canadiens get my full support now that the Oilers, Jets and Leafs have been turfed from the bubble.

1 comment:

Charles Martin said...

Good to see your blog active again.