Thursday, July 15, 2021

Weber's future/Lind unprotected?/Two coaches to cheer for

    • Shea Weber
      Welcome to mid-July. Where I live, it's all about forest fire season. It was almost inevitable
      when we - like most of Canada - were hit by a massive heat wave with temperatures for days hovering over 40 degrees. The Okanagan is a dry, hot climate, so heat and sun are typical at this time of the year, but this type of heat for this extended period of time, with no relief was unusual. I love the summer. I love the heat. I will admit, even for me, it was a little to hot under the collar. With the heat comes the threat of forest fires and that's exactly the position we are in now. I know it's their job and they are darn good at it, but it still amazes me how good fire crews are at tackling these blazes. The pilots in these water bombers turn into rock stars at this time of the year as they save property and lives time and time again. The people on the ground creating containment lines with the use of hatchet pick axes in their hands is amazing. Climate change is real. What is also real is people going around setting fires intentionally for either thrill or in some cases, sadly, creating employment. Sure, human caused fires are part of the problem with careless behaviour, but these 'suspicious fires' grind my gears. It puts lives and property at danger and makes everyone anxious. The air quality is also compromised at a time when being outdoors and enjoying summer should be priority number one. Heck, we've spent so much time in-doors during the pandemic, I want to be outside enjoying the fresh air. Sadly, that fresh air has a smoky haze to it. 
    • I was thinking of what to touch on in this blog entry and Shea Weber was the first thing that came to mind. Is his career in jeopardy? It appears so with injuries mounting and the threat of the 35 year-old having to take the entire season off to recover. And face it, at that age, sitting an entire season on the sidelines would make it extremely difficult to come back and play at a high level after a long absence. It is easy to say, 'I knew something was up', but it did seem odd when Weber was seen tearing up at the conclusion of the Stanley Cup final series with Tampa Bay. I believe the heartbreak for every player who comes that close to winning it all is real, but when Weber showed it publicly, my first thought wasn't injury, but more-so that he realized his one and only chance of winning hockey's holy grail was over. He likely wouldn't be in this position again. Indeed that may be the case, not because of the Canadiens performance and future outlook, but because his body is beat up after years of wear and tear and the ending is near. 
    • While it's been suggested Weber will be left unprotected in the NHL expansion draft with the theory he will be placed on long term IR, will the Canucks leave former Kelowna Rockets forward Kole Lind unprotected too? That's the rumour. Teams must submit their protected list by Saturday. Lind played 7 games with the Canucks this season, failing to register a point. The now 22 year-old was chosen by the NHL team in the second round in 2017 and was the 33rd player plucked off the board. If Lind is chosen, let's hope he gets a solid chance of being an NHL regular. 
    • Since my last blog entry, the Kelowna Rockets have extended Kris Mallette's contract. Despite a small sample size, 'Mally' deserves it. Selfishly, I am glad he will be around for another three years to guide the ship because it gives me someone to cheer for. I'm serious. If I have a good relationship with a head coach, who treats me with respect and essentially allows me to feel a part of the team and not feeling like an outsider, my thought process into wanting him to succeed goes up expediently. Maybe I am spoiled by how I was treated by Ryan Huska and Dan Lambert? I believe I have trust with Mallette with 6+ years of riding the bus together. I hope he believes that I can sit across the table and what he says - will stay in confidence. Trust is built over time, but some coaches allow you into the inner circle, while others don't want any part of you - as you are perceived as 'the media'. I think it comes with being in pro and then coming back to junior that pushes that sense of paranoia or lack of trust. That's my conclusion. Thankfully, in looking back in my time here in Kelowna, I can tell you on one hand who has given me the cold shoulder with far more positive relationships than negative ones. It's just nice to be cheering wholeheartedly for Mallette.
    • Mitch Love
      Mitch Love is the new head coach of the Stockton Heat. The just turned 37 year-old left his post as the head coach of the Saskatoon Blades to turn pro. Good for him. Love is very likable. In any of my dealings with him over the years, I get nothing but a quiet confidence. He is easy to cheer for. He never fast tracked his way to the position he holds today. I may be old school, but he made his mark in coaching on resume alone. The success he has had, the time that he has spent perfecting his craft shows others that he is a winner and a quality coach. Name recognition has zero to do with his ascension up the coaching ranks. Another example came this week when he sent me a text message. It's that type of 'reaching out' that goes a long way with me. It shows me, deep down, this guy cares for people and isn't about to run over someone in an effort to better himself. It's just another reason why I will pump his tires because I am the type of person that if you treat me with respect, you get it right back. I am sure we all want to be treated that way. If you want to play the one-way game, I'm way to old to grovel for your acceptance. That ship sailed in my 30's...which looking back...was way to late. 
    • Duncan Keith is an Edmonton Oiler. While many don't like the trade and the belief is the Oilers got fleeced for taking on all of his salary, it will be interesting to watch him regularly now that he is out west. In Chicago, despite having the ability to watch games, I never tuned in to see how well, or as I've heard from others, how his game has regressed. I say give him a chance to prove himself. The last thing I would want is people to evaluate me over the last 16 months. It's been a hard time for everyone during this pandemic and no one has been at his or her best. It's Keith's 38th birthday today!
    • Here we are - mid-July and the Kelowna Rockets have not named a new assistant coach to replace the departed Vernon Fiddler. I am interested in the new candidate with the hopes of building a strong relationship with that individual. 
    • Logos. The Vancouver Giants revealed its third jersey this week. Very nice. Is it better than the original? In my opinion, yep. The Portland Winter Hawks also introduced its new logo this week. It's a right-facing hawk with two feathers and a depiction of Mount Hood. It's the team's first logo change in 45 years after wearing the old Chicago Blackhawks crest since 1976. Do I like the new look? It's ok, but heck its original so you have to applaud them for that. The organization was often slagged for a lack of an original logo. I remember a 2008 article in the Hockey News rating Portland's logo as the second worst in the WHL. I won't mention who the worst was. But as the old saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 
    • Trevor Wong
       The Abbotsford Canucks are the name of the new AHL franchise. We knew the Vancouver Canucks farm team was moving to the Lower Mainland, but now they are just a half hour drive from Langley, where the WHL Giants play their home games. How much of a challenge will it be for the G-Men to sell tickets when many will be curious to check out the new product down the road? The 2021-2022 season will be an interesting one for all WHL teams as they welcome fans back into the building after a long hiatus, but the G-Men have an extra challenge on their plate. The sales staff at the LEC will be doing some extra lifting.
    • The NHL draft is July 23-24th. It will be interesting to see if a team selects Kelowna Rockets forward Trevor Wong. A quiet rookie season paved the way to an abbreviated sophomore campaign where the likeable Wong showed more offensive flair. The tough part is this draft is considered deep. That is why highly coveted prospect Logan Stankoven of the Kamloops Blazers may not be chosen until the second round. In a typical year, the former 30 goal scorer would be a no-brainer to be selected in round one. The Buffalo Sabres, who finished last in the league and won the draft lottery, will choose first overall for the second time since 2018.
    • A vaxathon is taking place in Kelowna this weekend (Sunday July 18th - 9 am until 3:30 pm at Kelowna Secondary School on Raymer Avenue ) with several familiar hockey faces participating. Prince George Cougars Assistant Coach Jason Smith will be on site in the morning with Kelowna Rockets Trevor Wong and Dillon Whitman there in the afternoon. Even Cougars players Ethan Samson and Aiden Reeves will be there playing street hockey with kids and signing autographs. Here is a chance to get your first shot. No excuses kids!!


No comments: