Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Use the force Luke!


Luke Schenn holding the Stanley Cup

"Luke, the force will be with you": The famous quote from Star Wars. The force was 
with former Kelowna Rockets defenceman Luke Schenn last night. Now 30, Schenn captured the Stanley Cup helping the Tampa Bay Lightning beat the Dallas Stars 2-0, winning the series in 6 games. While he played in only one game in the finals, Schenn dressed in 11 post season games with the Lightning. I've spoken with Luke many times over the years, with this quote standing out as one of his best. "I was given a real good opportunity on day one when I got here (Kelowna). I was fortunate enough to be here and them believing in me and drafting me. Who knows, you get drafted by another organization, you have no idea how things would work out? All I know is I am pretty thankful that I ended up in Kelowna." While Schenn was a winner last night, Jamie Benn and Blake Comeau will have to wait for another chance. How heartbroken was it to lose? Benn's post game comments,or lack-thereof, told the story.   

What are you talk'n about Willis? It was likely my 'Welcome to the WHL' moment. December 10, 1995. My first season of calling games on the radio with the Swift Current Broncos. We were in Lethbridge to face the Hurricanes that night. This was no routine game prior to the Christmas break though. That season the team was guided by Todd McLellan. Todd is now the head coach of the NHL's LA Kings. He built a team with an abundance of skill that season, but two players were able to answer the bell if things got physical. A smallish player named Tyler Willis was as scrappy as they could come and Derek Arbez was the team leader with 261 penalty minutes that season. Late in a game against the Hurricanes, things turned nasty. Tyler Willis precipitated it all by getting into a fight that started with one player and then evolved into a fight with another unsuspecting Hurricane. With Willis' jersey exploding off his upper body, which was by design back then, he started punching anyone wearing white-red and blue colours in an effort to turn them black and blue. When I saw a player coming off the Hurricanes bench and then another followed by players from the Broncos bench, I knew it was 'fight night'. In my first season calling play-by-play, it was difficult enough just calling the action. Calling a fight was significantly harder. Calling a bench clearing brawl was nearly impossible for a first year broadcaster as I attempt to describe the mayhem in front of me. I couldn't prepare for it. I couldn't rehearse. My objective was to keep my cool, keep the emotions in check while attempting to describe what I was seeing, in a succinct manner, to those listening back home. I remember numerous times looking down at my lineup sheet wondering who was fighting who. As soon as I figured that out, a third man came flying in and I would struggle identifying who he was. I didn't know where to look. Too my far right, in front of the Hurricanes bench, players were whaling on each other. Then out of the corner of my eye, to my left, two more were squaring off. As Bob Cole is known to exclaim, "Everything is happening". The goalies were scrapping. Broncos back-up Aaron McDonald was even seen grabbing a player before he got bowled over by another Hurricane coming to a teammate’s aid. It is the only brawl I have called play-by-play for over 25 years in the WHL. I've called line brawls, but that isn't even in the same stratosphere of what went down that night. Even the coaches were on the ice trying to calm down the players while breaking up fights. In speaking to Tyler Willis about it last week, he remembers the game quite fondly. He told me he was suspended three games for his actions that night. He also said he came onto the ice multiple times after being sent to the dressing room. I asked him if he was ever scared when things got out of control. His answer? "Nah". Here is the grainy video evidence of what went down that night. I am glad we don't see that type of mayhem anymore. Eventful? Without a doubt. 



Beach-Beached: Kyle Beach isn't sure he will play overseas this fall. The Kelowna minor hockey product is waiting for a new contract after spending the last 8 seasons in Europe. Now 30, Beach was a first round WHL bantam pick of the Everett Silvertips and was selected in the opening round, 11th overall, in the 2008 entry draft by the Chicago Blackhawks. Beach never played a game in the National Hockey League. I asked him why he was unable to attain that dream. "I've spend a lot of time thinking about it. I think a lot of it was timing. I got drafted in 2008. In 2010, my last year of junior, my 19 year-old year, they (Chicago) won the Stanley Cup. They won two years later. Then they obviously won a third one. They had a real good team. They had been building for multiple years before that. I was drafted by Dale Tallon. He got fired shortly after I was drafted. The coach at the time I was drafted was Denis Savard and I think he was let go six games into the season in my 18 year-old year. That was as close as I got. I was one of the last cuts (18 year-old year) and was sent back to junior. Within two weeks of being sent back to the WHL there was a big shakeup there. At any age, when you get new management and coaches they want it to be there team. Stan Bowman came in and he wanted it to be his team. I think it was partly timing and partly maturity. It took me a bit to find my way and for me to realize it wasn't going to happen overnight. I don't want to blame other people than myself. It was the first time in my hockey career that I was told I wasn't good enough and it wears on you." Beach would play three seasons with the Tips between 2006 and 2009. He was named the WHL Rookie of the Year with 29 goals (2006-2007) before being dealt to the Lethbridge Hurricanes. After just 24 games there, he was sent to the Spokane Chiefs where he would put up 52 goals in his 19 year-old season. 

Best move I ever made: The best move I ever made was marrying my wife Diana in 1995. That was 25 years ago people!! The second best? I received my 20th anniversary plaque in the mail from Bell Media the other day. It officially marks 20 years in Kelowna, working in the same building that was owned by Telemedia, Standard Radio, Astral Media and now Bell Media. While ownership has changed hands over the years since I walked through the station doors in the fall of 2000, like a good warm coat, it has felt like a comfortable-safe place to work. It was the best decision in my professional radio career to walk into the radio station, unannounced, in the summer of 2000 before meeting directly with then general manager Bill Mann. The cold-call worked, or Mann must have loved the guts/nerve I showed by walking through the doors that day without even a phone call. Shortly after, I was interviewed by then news director Betty Selin and she hired me a day later. If I can say one thing about my time in Kelowna, management over the years has allowed me to do my thing. Having that creative freedom is something I don't take for granted. Coming to Kelowna has allowed me to cover a hockey team that is dripping in success. Five trips to the Memorial Cup, several WHL championships and players that have gone on to success in the NHL or have chosen the WHL Education Program and have obtained a degree from a Canadian university - essentially for free. I love everything about the city. I marvel at Kelowna. It hasn't gotten old on me. My kids were born here. My wife has a great job here. Both my parents, who were born and raised on the prairies, are buried here. Kelowna is home and will be for a long time. If my career has me here permanently, I am good with that. I have hit the jackpot of calling junior hockey games in the best place in Canada.

Whistle Blower: Kelowna's Steve Papp isn't sitting idly by even though the WHL doesn't anticipate starting for another two months. The veteran official is getting his reps in the BC Hockey League. Papp hasn't spent time as an official in that league in close to 8 years, but you go to where the work is and in Papp's case, you try to give back. The personable official has been coaching and supervising others who want to eventual call games at the major junior level.  

Stadel ready to starter up: Former Kelowna Rockets defenceman/forward Riley Stadel is overseas. In speaking to the 24 year-old, this will mark his fourth season in Europe. Now playing in Erste Liga, Stadel is with Ute Budapest in Hungry. Stadel flew into the country back on August 4th and plans to be there until flying back to North America in mid-April. The plan is to play a full regular season schedule with no fans, at least to start. Stadel is teammates with former Spokane Chief Mike Aviani. While never taking advantage of the WHL Education Program, look what the 3rd round pick of the Kelowna Rockets in the 2011 bantam draft has been able to experience. Playing junior hockey has opened doors for Stadel to play in Scotland, England, Finland and Poland. To experience those spots while playing hockey has to be so rewarding. 

Ontario cases escalate: With over 700 new cases of COVID-19 in Ontario on Monday, that is bad news for the start of the OHL regular season on December 4th. Will that impact us here in the WHL, considering we want to start at that exact date? Would we want to open up our season while the OHL remains idle? I know the QMJHL is starting Friday with regular season games, but I just don't see the WHL moving ahead and leaving its OHL partner behind. It feels like the 'Dub' and the 'O' work in concert with one another while the 'Q' is more of a trail blazer and are willing to go on there own.    

No comments: