Friday, August 3, 2007

Yeomans Service for Derek/Hawks Radio Changes Dramatically


Former Kelowna Rockets goaltender Derek Yeomans is headed to school.
The twenty-one year old St. Albert, Alberta resident will be attending the University of New Brunswick this fall.
Derek's mom will be happy with that decision. She's a school teacher. I will admit I am a little surprised that he didn't earn a tryout somewhere, but like his dad told me Thursday, if it was a tryout for an East Coast League team, Derek was better off going to university. The New Brunswick Men's hockey team is no stranger to Rockets alumni. Nick Marach and Jesse Ferguson have both played under head coach Gardiner MacDougall.
__________________________________

I have to tip my microphone to colleague Dean Vrooman, who announced Thursday after 25 years as the radio play-by-play caller for the Portland Winter Hawks, he is stepping away from the broadcast booth.
Vrooman deserves more than a pat on the back for being the 'voice of the Hawks' for that amount of time. He deserves a medal!
Portland has arguably one of the toughest road schedules of any team in Western Conference, and for Vrooman to board the bus year after year after year is nothing short of amazing. I had to laugh when I was at the Memorial Cup in Quebec City in 2003 and met the play-by-play man fo
r the O-H-L's Kitchener Rangers. He had been with that organization for over 30 years, which is impressive. Yet when I examined the Rangers travel schedule, it was a piece of cake compared to the WHL. It makes veteran broadcasters like Bob Ridley in Medicine Hat and Vrooman in Portland look like Greek Gods. Do you think he'll miss those Portland to Prince George road trips? How about those Saskatchewan road swings? How about the movie 'Tommy Boy' as it makes it's rotation in the teams movie selection? Or how about those two word answers from a nervous 16 year-old player? I doubt it. Sure he'll miss calling the games, and will miss the people he has bumped into over the years, but it's a new chapter in his life. Maybe he can now work on his ever improving golf game?
I was often amazed that he called games as long as he did. I remember asking him about how he sleeps on the bus. He told me he has an unorthodox way of using the two seats to his advantage. Granted Vrooman is not a big man, but he assured me sleeping on the bus was never a problem for him. I wish I could say the same. I will admit I was always impressed by Vrooman's busy schedule during a Hawks home game. I'd be wrapping up my first period summary, and preparing to put out a fire with my overflowing bladder, and Vrooman was already calling play-by-play on some goofy promotion at center ice.
The guy was a machine!!
Vrooman is just another familiar face that I likely won't run into at Hawks home games anymore. I am just hoping that the public address announcer in Portland doesn't pull the pin now. His 'Here Come the Hawks' is classic, and the guy can sing the national anthem. Call him Mr. Versatility. Plus he makes me laugh every season when he mispronounces the Rockets names. Kiel McLeod pronounced Keel was a classic, and Troy Ofukany's last name was always dangerous when he attempted to get it right over the pa system.
Dean Vrooman, you are a class act, and will honestly be missed. I applaud your 25 years as the voice of the Portland Winter Hawks. My wish for you is happiness in your new endeavor, and for your sake some recognition from the Hawks this season with some type of on ice presentation. You have been a great ambassador for the Hawks over the years, and are an integral part of that organization. The listenors realize your value as do the fans. Let's just hope the Hawk organization does.
_________________________________

Having a committed color analyst is a delight, and I've hit the jackpot with David Michaud. We were looking over the Rockets schedule this week, and Michaud anticipates missing very few games over the course of the season.
Michaud even suggested making a Saskatchewan road trip prior to Christmas. Is he ever in for a treat. He loves the old buildings, the buildings with character. He will love Medicine Hat, will appreciate Swift Current (if it's finished in time), and will get a kick out of the smell in Brandon. I'm looking forward to Michaud joining me on the road for the majority of Rockets games this season. I can't wait to get started.

2 comments:

HawkInk said...

Regan,

Well said. Dean Vrooman should get any and every award you can come up with. He flat out made it happen over 25 years with the good, bad and the ugly. All I know is that Junior hockey values are what initially attracted me to the sport and Dean Vrooman was the example of what is great about junior hockey. He reminded me of Yoda with all the great insight, experience and presence that made you feel like you were always apart of the great Hawk family of players and fans.

I hope new Hawk management has not been the instigator of this move. I hope it is not some management scheme to cut costs, find better looking announcers, or provide more politically correct hockey talk. If it is ,then the Hawks may not make it much longer and a losing team won't matter. Dean Vrooman is the one person in the whole organization that should never be replaced.

It is a sad day in mudville.

Regan Bartel said...

I will admit I have a soft spot for the veteran broadcasters of this league. They have dedicated many hours away from family and friends to call the game of junior hockey. For these men ,like Vrooman, to broadcast games at the WHL level for 25 years is something that truly amazes me. If I even tried to match that total I would be 63 years-old before I get 25 years under my belt. I just can't see that happening. I love what I do, but to dedicate myself like Vrooman did, can only be accomplished by a very special person.